Stitch wire

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Stitch wire

Post by Phishtech »

While browsing Home Depot this weekend I ended up on the isle where they have the ceiling tile and all related gear. I found what they called hanging wire that was 18 guage x 300 ft. for $6.50. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has used it and how stiff it was?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Stitch wire

Post by jem »

Copper is nice because it's flexible. The hanging wire might work ok. Anyway to "accidentally" open a package and give the wire a little bend test?
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I like the 18 GA copper wire since it is easy to work with and especially on the fingers when twisting it. Biggest problem is ... it only comes in 25 foot rolls and takes about three of them per boat.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

That reminds me to raid the scrap copper bin at work before the weekend . . . . . . hopefully I will be ready to start stitching my first Wadefish together.
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Re: Stitch wire - ?problem with tearing out on hard panel be

Post by LesForgue »

I've got a lot of copper wire scavenged from an electric motor,

I'm wondering Has anyone experienced a wire stitch cutting through the plywood in an area of severe bending of the panel?
I see where the plans call for closer stitch spacing for those highly torturous bends, but the plans mention cable ties, which would be less likely to rip the plywood than the thinner wire, right?

Another thought on wire for stitching, seems like to me most wire is kind of oily - so I'm thinking of washing the copper wire in laundry detergent before it touches the plywood - would that be worth the bother?

Thanks.

Les
Les Richard Forgue
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

If the wire is to thin and you tighten it to tight it will start to cut threw the wood. Best way to determine that is to do it and see what happens. The 18 ga I use I have not had any problems with.

As far as the oil that might be on the wire I have never had that problem with the copper wire I get from the hardware store. If you think there is some oil on it you could rinse it with some Alcohol or Acetone to clean it.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I have used both and the cable ties seem to not split the wood as bad on high stress areas.
Ron
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Post by makenmend »

cable ties work OK, but in very high stress situation Iv'e had to resort to 10 and even 8 gauge (17' sailboat bow).

MM
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

I prefer the copper wire for the reasons as stated by Old Sparky. I find that the copper does not damage the ply like some steel wire and has the added advantage that if a bit gets accidentally epoxied in place it doesn't matter at all. Just leave it there. The only problem I have with plastic cable ties is the appearance due to the size of the holes needed.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

Seems like to me also that cable ties once they are tightened are usually difficult or impossible to loosen and retighten, one usually has to cut them off and replace if adjustment is needed,
but with the wire it's easy to loosen and retighten if you're gentle enough to not break the wire.

I appreciate the reponses, in fact the friendly generous advice and instruction on this here JEM forum adds a lot of peace of mind and confidence to the build, and subtracts a lot of the mental and emotional stress from it. What a blessing!
Les Richard Forgue