FIRING THE TAPE

Builder show and discuss their progress.
SYPUCK
Type of boat I like: freedom 11

FIRING THE TAPE

Post by SYPUCK »

When you fair the tape what do you use if you want the wood boat not painted boat? Or can you just sand down the edges of the tape and have a nice finish?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: FIRING THE TAPE

Post by jem »

You feather the edges so there's a smooth, gradual transition from the tape edge to the wood. Be gentle and take your time and it'll look great.
-Matt. Designer.
SYPUCK

Post by SYPUCK »

Thanks for the help. Would you recommend a orbital sander or hand sanding. Then after that do you apply more epoxy? Also how do you butt two seams up to each other or do you overlap them?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Others may have other techniques but a nice sharp cabinet scraper works great for me on the woven edges of tape. Then lightly sand with orbital sander.

I'd do another thin coat of epoxy after for weave fill. Remember, bare wood needs at least 3 thin coats. So apply your tape, feather the edges, then apply your thin coats of epoxy.

Did I say "thin" enough times? :D

Not sure I follow you on butting up the seams. Seas of the tape or wood?
-Matt. Designer.
SYPUCK

Post by SYPUCK »

I was talking about the seams of the tape or fiberglass. If you over lap it it will be more built up and you would have a high spot thus more sanding. Thanks again for all the help and sorry if I am asking to many questions.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

No such thing as too many questions.

You can lay the cloth end to end and it will be ok. If it were a power or sail boat, you'd need to overlap. Make sure the "butting ends" of the tape are trimmed clean and fit together as neatly and closely as possible. Minimal gap. You'll want to wet the area where the ends butt together first and work your way out. The tape will move a little bit as you wet it out so check on it before you walk away.
-Matt. Designer.
SYPUCK

Post by SYPUCK »

Thanks for all the help Matt!
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

No problem. Good luck. If the tape comes together at a weird angle, it won't be easy to get the pieces to behave. That's why most builder just overlap and then sand to get it smooth.
-Matt. Designer.