Can you stand up?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
tarzan
Type of boat I like: Wadefish

Can you stand up?

Post by tarzan »

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I am new to all of this. I am looking at the wadefish, mini skiff, sabalo and stalker-14 for a good flats fishing boat I can you stand up in? Are any of the kayaks stable enough to fly cast from standing ? do you think you could put a pooling stand on the Stalker? And the other thing I am thinking about doing is putting a hobbie mirage drive in as I build , I would appreciate any and all input as this will be my first build which I am really looking foreword to.

Thanks in advance
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Re: Can you stand up?

Post by PiratePete »

Hi Tarzan

I have 2 Wadefish 15 2s with a mirage drive in each of them & I can stand up & pole mine along in water too shallow to use the mirage drive. I don't know if they are stable enough at 27" wide to fly fish from but the 32" version might be.
tarzan

Post by tarzan »

Thanks Pete

That is very encouraging information. sounds like the mirage drive is working out well for you ? perhaps you can point me to some good instructions on building it in to a new boat? I am just trying to understand all of the physics involved in boat building and a little over my head at the moment. I just found a site that explains stability and have not gone through it yet.

Thanks again Pete
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Depends on how much weight you intend to have on board but the mini skiff would be quite stable for standing.
-Matt. Designer.
tarzan

Post by tarzan »

Thanks Matt.

Wight lets figure me and gear 250 LBS.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Stalker or mini would be best suited for standing. Mini will be quicker to build.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Another option would be to fit removable outriggers. That way you can have maximum stability when standing and options available (eg. sailing your yak).
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!