JEM Watercraft

JEM Watercraft

Customer Service Forum
Direct Links To: Canoe Plans  --  Kayak Plans  --  Other Plans

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bluefin SS&G
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:36 pm 

Fredric
I started the ss@g a few years ago and love it , It really gives a stiffer boat than ply does aaand with wrc a lighter boat.
I glue up my strips into the shape I want, then run both sides through a planner. you dont need to glass them before you stitch the panels together.
Check out my ss@g Northwind ,it doesnt have a piece of wood in it longer than 8 ft.
Ron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:05 am 

On this 16' boat I edge glued and then sanding both sides on my 38'' drum sander... I was fearful at first but handling the pieces. I found them to be a lot stronger than you would expect I took them down to about 3/16'' ....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:30 am 

Beautiful boats!

I guess I have to try to plane the panels before glassing! I hope I get the plans soon, looking forward to this build!

/Fredrik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:32 am 

Make sure you keep us updated with pictures.

MM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:24 pm 

lovin that clamp you made out of 2 x 4.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:29 pm 

Let's have some pictures...

A simple glue/lamination table was prepared and wrapped in plastic. The dimensions are approx 2*17 ft

A grid was scribed and the pattern was transferred from the plans to the grid. At this stage, I just need the pattern to make sure that the panel will be large enough.

A strip was stapled to the base and the first batch of strips were dry-fitted. My planer can take a width of 10 inch so I must divide the glue-up in two batches.

The strips were marked with reference lines, removed, clamped together and the I added plenty of Titebond III

And then I stapled the panel using vertical strips wrapped in plastic...

And then the second batch was glued. The joint between strip 8 and 9 is not glued...

...cont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:55 pm 

....and 24 hrs later the staples can be removed and the panel can be separated into two parts...

Planed down to 4 mm...

...and then glued together, this time using masking tape to provide some pressure on the joint...

The pattern was scribed to the panel - this time very carefully...

Checked for fairness and then written to the panel..

And finally I could do a rough shaping of the panel...

First panel done and everything went very smooth! Surprised of the stability of the panels!

/Fredrik

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:03 pm 

Good start, I did some decks the same way in 2 half's so I could plane before joining.
For assembling /clamping the strips on the bench I used push pins, and keep on reusing for other panels.
[url][URL=http://s469.photobucket.com/user/makenmend/media/TV%2015-29/8395df41-a05e-449b-b5d0-2dc9cd39453d.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

After assembly the panels are wetted down which caused the small pinholes to close, here's some panels drying out.
[url][URL=http://s469.photobucket.com/user/makenmend/media/TV%2015-29/IMGP3218_resize.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

What is the hull in the background ??

MM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:27 pm 

I'll try push pins - looks like a very good idea!

The hull is the beginning of a strip-built Paul Gartside #106 double ended cutter...

:o :o :o :o :o

/fredrik

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:07 pm 

''The hull is the beginning of a strip-built Paul Gartside #106 double ended cutter...''

very nice, Didn't put 2 & 2 together til now. followed your build on WB forum. bigger project than mine, I built a Core Sound 17' last year (with stripped decks) 7 month's start to finish (with some breaks) I'll continue to follow both builds.

[url][URL=http://s469.photobucket.com/user/makenmend/media/core%20sound%20build/IMGP4818_resize.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s469.photobucket.com/user/makenmend/media/core%20sound%20build/coresoundIpod074.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next