Neons Sasquatch 14

Builder show and discuss their progress.
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Re: Neons Sasquatch 14

Post by neon14 »

Had to take a couple weeks off. Things just got too busy. Plus the weather got stupid here in Texas.

Boats in the house. Thats what happens when you want to work on your canoe and watch a nascar race. Trying to get it all trued up. The bow jigs really helped out a lot.

NOTE: It appears to be floating. Its that light :D
neon14

Post by neon14 »

The weather has even got more stupid here in Texas. What the CRAP!!! I dont particularly enjoy cold weather, but I have no choice. I am making progress. Every little dot is super glue. Wound up not using the accelerant to dry the glue. No need to, it dried fast enough.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Its been a while since I have posted on this build. Things got real busy and the weather has been crappy here in Texas for the most part. I had some problems stitching the canoe together. Never worked with this thin of wood before, and on top of that it rained and the shop roof leaked onto the canoe and kind of warped the wood a little. Also some of my butt splices could have been better. I got frustrated and walked away from it for a bit. But I pushed forward and finished the filleting. Prolly going to just paint this one instead of having a wood finish. Almost done sanding. It will be a great canoe and something I don't have to worry about messing up. Need to order some glass and epoxy.

On another note I got a bunch of cedar given to my from a friend. And with what I already have, I think it is enough to build the second canoe. So It looks like a strip, stitch, and glue might happen. It would look really nice. Bummer I cut all those panels out for for two boats because I'm not sure I want to work with this wood again. Ill just put them away for now. I hope to post some pics pretty soon and get this build moving on. Spring is on its way!
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

neon14 wrote:Had to take a couple weeks off. Things just got too busy. Plus the weather got stupid here in Texas.

Boats in the house. Thats what happens when you want to work on your canoe and watch a nascar race. Trying to get it all trued up. The bow jigs really helped out a lot.

NOTE: It appears to be floating. Its that light :D

LOVE THE LOOK OF YOUR sasquatch! (LOVE THOSE WALL HANGINGS OVER THE TELEVISION SET TOO.)
Les Richard Forgue
neon14

Post by neon14 »

My wife likes all of her crosses she has been collecting them for quite some time. I collect boats :D Ordered the epoxy and fiberglass from US composites today. Funny thing when placing the order I could almost smell the epoxy lol. Crazy how that works.

My wife wants to paint this thing PINK!!!
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

After you paint it pink for her are you going to build You one???
Bob
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

it is too pretty to paint,
explain to her it is already pink -
P.I.N.K = Paint Is Not Kosher.
Les Richard Forgue
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Epoxy and glass came in yesterday. Never used the pumps before. Should make things a lot easier.
But before I start glassing the canoe need to put new skegs on the paddle board.

Now I just have to figure out a way to convince my wife not to paint this canoe pink.....with butterflies
snipa
Type of boat I like: Laker+Wadefish+Northwind

Post by snipa »

Hi neon,

Find the pumps to be a great cost saver(5:1 mix, always overusing hardener) and more consistent mixes unless you only need a tablespoon full. Measuring cups sort that out though.

Cheers John
Cheers John
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Finally got to glassing yesterday. Been so crazy busy with life.
In my hurry to get going I forgot to glue the gunwales on before glassing it. Thats a bummer.