Herblite Special

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Herblite Special

Post by Phishtech »

Remember the 17 lb. kayak? I finally finished mine and it don't weigh 17 lbs., I didn't think it would since I built it for strength and safety (so it would hold my fat butt). Anyway, it's still light as can be and really does fly on the water. Reminds me of Ron's Cuda which is a JEM Laker 15 built asymmetrical. I used the JEM Touring Pirogue platform and plans but had Matt add a V bottom instead of being flat (eliminates tracking off course when not paddling). It was a learning process and I made a few mistakes but none too bad to fix. Haven't put her on the scale yet or taken beam measurements, but they'll be coming soon. Too much stress on the top rails in the back of the boat cracked the scarf joints I put there. Should have put them in front. Had to move the rear temp frame forward to relieve the stress and that narrowed the boat both top and bottom. Wound up having to trim the bottom because of this but it made the boat nice and sleek and very fast on the water. Really easy to get moving and almost no effort to just coast along. Anyway, here's a couple of pics. If anyone wants more info I'll post up the build pics and try to explain how I got her made........Phishtech

http://s529.photobucket.com/user/Phisht ... 8.jpg.html
http://s529.photobucket.com/user/Phisht ... 3.jpg.html
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Re: Herblite Special

Post by makenmend »

Well done Phish,I was able to view your full build, interesting,she sits pretty in the water with you aboard. Again well done.

I'm putting the finishing touches to this right nowImage
Then a 15-32 TV for a friend, then I'll start my last biggish build a 20' Trimaran, that will be a fairly long,casual build, with paddling /sailing in between.

MM
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Re: Herblite Special

Post by Phishtech »

Thanks. I haven't forgot your plans, just now getting back on my feet. Came up with a torn rotator cuff on the right side that is giving me fits, then last weekend came down with food poisoning (I think) that tore my guts up and also tore me a new one, if you know what I mean. Getting my strength back now but it'll be at least another week before I'm back up to par.
I'll get a tube for the plans and get them to you soon.