Fishing lights

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Whiskeysmoke
Type of boat I like: SOT Kayaks

Fishing lights

Post by Whiskeysmoke »

Does anyone use green lights for fishing? I have seen a few guys on another forum wiring LEDs through the scuppers and running along the bottom of the boat below the water line. Those super thin strip lights at Academy sure have me wondering if that idea could be translated into a wood-constructed craft. My head tells me they could be epoxied to the hull and cause little to no drag. My cautious side says don't put any more holes in the bottom than absolutely needed. Thoughts?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Fishing lights

Post by jem »

are they supposed to attract fish or make it easier to see in the water?
-Matt. Designer.
Whiskeysmoke

Post by Whiskeysmoke »

Primary purpose is to attract bait fish which will then attract the bigger fish. They can also serve a secondary purpose of illuminating the bottom if the water is clear and/ or shallow.
Whiskeysmoke

Post by Whiskeysmoke »

There are a bunch of pics online of people who have lit up their yaks. I don't want to post pics that I don't own. A quick Google search will show you dozens of setups. Some place the lights above the water line and others go down the bottom. I am seriously considering this.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Well I suppose you could embed some stainless steel nuts or nutplates into the hull and when you're not using the lights put a short button head screw in the threads. Shouldn't cause any noticeable drag.
-Matt. Designer.
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

You could rig a gunnel clamp to secure the light while fishing. You will not be underway while using the light. That way you don't have to whack on your boat.
Bob