How to make gunwales?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
ThatGuyFrodo
Type of boat I like: DK Touring Canoe.

How to make gunwales?

Post by ThatGuyFrodo »

I am in the middle of building the DK Touring canoe and have come to the point where the outside hull is ready for me to put the fiberglass cloth on. At this point the directions stop and tell me that this boat will need gunwales and that I need to consider how I want to install them with the fiberglass installation. All of that is well and good, I'll probably just tape off the area and install the gunwales wood to wood above the glass as that seems the least risky way to do it.

But here's the question. Where do these gunwales come from? Do i just go get some lumber and glue it on? What kind of lumber should I use and what size? There's nothing in the directions that tells me what to do and I'm very reliant on the directions :)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: How to make gunwales?

Post by jem »

The total thickness should be 3/4" [19mm].

The easy method is to get some wood trim... ash, white oak, cedar, mahogany, (ash is my personal preference) at least 1/4" [6mm] thick and at least 5/8" [16mm] tall. Together with the hull wood you'll get about the 3/4" total thickness and its easier to bend and install.

Install one layer on the hull exterior, one on the interior. If you store your boat upside down, you want to considering beveling the bottom so water and condensation will run off instead of pooling up on the 90-degree edge.

You need to install a thwart or frame as the plans specify.
-Matt. Designer.