Wadefish 32 completed

Builder show and discuss their progress.
AdamG
Type of boat I like: SOT fishing yaks.

Wadefish 32 completed

Post by AdamG »

Sorry, this isn't a build log but I figured I'd post a few pics of the finished boat. Many thanks to Pirate Pete and others who've posted detailed build info. This is going to be my primary fishing yak and after only a few hours on the water I'm certain it's going to fit the bill perfectly. It's plenty fast with the Mirage drive and more than stable enough.

The only thing I'd change if building another one would be to move the Mirage drive forward an inch. I set it back ~1" from the forward cockpit cross-member. I'm 5'11 and setting the drive to max adjustment I can just barely straighten my leg on the forward stroke. Anyone much taller than me might start to have issues with leg extension. I'd also move the rudder control handle back a few inches to put it under my hand while pedaling. My thinking there was to leave the left side rail as open as possible to allow climbing back in easily in a capsize, but in hindsight it wouldn't be that hard to drag myself over the handle.

The paint is Epifanes 2 part polyurethane. If it holds up as well as the Interlux I used on another boat I'd expect to get a good 12-15 years on it before needing a recoat.

Pics: https://plus.google.com/photos/11102394 ... 1136088689
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Re: Wadefish 32 completed

Post by makenmend »

Very nice indeed, well thought out clean layout.

MM
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

That's a keeper for sure!
-Matt. Designer.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

There's only 1 thing wrong with it - it lookso too good to get slimed :D .

Very impressed with the level of finish and detail, good work!

Where will you take it out - sea or lakes/rivers - and what type of fishing is it for?
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Jeaux
Type of boat I like: Sit on top kayak

Post by Jeaux »

That is one fine build, it is immaculate.
Do you know the weight? I would like to put my eyes on it.
AdamG

Post by AdamG »

Agreed, the paint is purdy but it's also tough as nails. Think egg-shell hard. 2 part polys are expensive, but worth it in the long run. They last longer and just shrug off dirt and grime. I've got ~ 7 years of hard fishing in the home built drift boat in the link below, and it still looks like new. https://www.flickr.com/photos/17173644@ ... 533370138/

I plan to use the kayak mainly in freshwater lakes and rivers for salmon, trout & striped bass, maybe some salt water also when I'm more confident in my 'yaking skills.

I did a 9 mile trip yesterday, easily holding a steady 4 mph speed. The only challenge I had was my seat back angle wouldn't stay put. I'm using a Skwoosh high back -- great quality seat, but not really designed to be pushed hard into a more recumbent position. The side web strapping buckles let the strap slip over time. I'm going to eliminate the buckles and sew the strap to a fixed max upright position, then use a couple of linked carabiners to extend it when I want to recline it more. Also going to shape and bond a 4" minicell pad to the cockpit deck. It should be dialed in after that.

Weight = 76 lbs, without battery and mirage fins. I'm sure that's on the heavier side for the model, but I went to great lengths to ensure every bit of wood inside and out would never get wet. The only bits not sheathed in glass are the 3/8" redwood cleats attaching the top deck and the various screw backing plates, and even those were coated with 3 layers of epoxy on all sides. I plan to keep the boat a long time and I don't want water getting into that sheathed wood. Marine ply or not, it will still rot. I also beefed the hell out of the mirage drive slot. And there are some things not shown in the pics like magnets in the hatch lid and rim and whatnot. Plus all the plastic fittings, rudder rigging, custom maintenance hatches, etc. It all adds up.

I thought I was done with the boat building bug for a while but I'm already kicking around ideas for a 2nd boat, something I'd use more for exercise and light fishing duties, probably in carbon fiber and kevlar, with a 45 lb max target weight. I guess once you're bit it never ends.
BBSig
Type of boat I like: SOT Kayak

Post by BBSig »

I know someone else with a 32" wide kayak that he bought. He has some trouble paddling it and refers to it as his barge. How much effort is it to paddle against another kayak (if you have any other experience)?
Barry
AdamG

Post by AdamG »

I like to pedal far more than paddle, so can't really answer. The hands-free aspect is what appeals to me for fishing.

As far as the boat design, comparing it to something like a Hobie Outback, I'm fairly sure the Wadefish-32 would be more efficient in the water (would be easier to paddle). If the concern was for the boat's width impinging on paddling motion, the sides of the Wadefish are canted at a nice outward angle, and are fairly low vs seated height, which helps. I've had no trouble paddling it the few times I've done it, but I typically only do so when first launching or when I need to stop quickly when marking suspended fish. Last area of concern might be tracking, but it seems to want to go straight even when I have the rudder up.
BBSig
Type of boat I like: SOT Kayak

Post by BBSig »

More concerned with the amount of effort to get it moving and keep it moving. Below is a link to the one he has. I like the ability to stand up to fish. He had to mount a trolling motor to keep up with everyone else who is paddling 27 - 29" wide yaks. He is reasonably in good shape so it is not from a lack of strength.

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS128T-Si ... 505321115/
Barry
AdamG

Post by AdamG »

The yak in that link definitely looks like a barge, I can see why he'd be struggling to keep up with his buddies. It's probably aimed at use on small lakes or ponds, not something you'd want to cover any distance in.