Tool for finalizing panels to the line

Post your own building tips and "how to" ideas here.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Tool for finalizing panels to the line

Post by hairymick »

Mate, he who dies with the most toys in his shed.....

Wins :P
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Dickie
Type of boat I like: Kayaks

Post by Dickie »

Exactly right Mick, not needed but nice to have!
~~ Dickie ~~
"The BEST tool in the World is the Human mind"
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

I bought most of my tools when I was remodeling the kitchen and custom building the cabinets for a house I sold in Arizona. All the tools and lumber for around $1200.00. Labor was free (mine). It increased the value of the house by about $25,000.00. Therefore, my tools were much less than free :wink: . Not to mention the thousands of dollars I have saved throughout my lifetime doing things myself. I consider a new tool an investment. :D

Also, as Mick says: he who dies with the most toys in his shed..... :lol:
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
confusedSea
Type of boat I like: Swind17 dk sasq

Post by confusedSea »

kjeremiah wrote:This thread had bothered me a bit as I only have an orbital sander and did not want to buy too much new equipment, but I found a spokeshave, kept really sharp did fine on the panels for my Sasquatch 14-30. I did all 4 matching panels at once, clamped in a Black and Decker workmate.
Much cheaper than these machines.

Keith
I appreciate your point. Machines like these certainly are not required, I simply expressed an opinion that for me, having a flat table to lay panels would facilitate keeping the edges square. There are many ways to skin a cat, and I'm glad you like your way.

I haven't had a lot of experience with planes and 'shaves, so I'm not confident in my ability to use those as effectively as you did. In point of fact, however, the planes and 'shaves might be cheaper up front and with lower recurring cost on keeping abrasives stocked, so may win out for my builds.

jtz
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

I have a powered, hand-held jig saw, but use my Japanese hand saw, or coping saw, most of the time. I have two electric drills, but use a hand crank (like an egg beater) most of the time. I have a power sander and will defend it with my life. IE: a power sander is the only power tool I consider as essential.

I have for each 2" C clamps. They worked for building 5 boats. Sometimes, I use parachute cord to wrap around a hull, or some part of it, to squeeze in and hold things. Sometimes I make a stick, like a thwart across a canoe, to spread things and hold them into place.

Hand tools do almost everything a home builder needs done. Were I on a production line, I'd want all the power tools I could get. But frankly, they make static on my radio when I run them.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Hand tools do almost everything a home builder needs done. Were I on a production line, I'd want all the power tools I could get. But frankly, they make static on my radio when I run them.
You need to start listening to FM radio :lol:
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
woodman
Type of boat I like: plywood kayaks

Post by woodman »

The edge sander was one of the first tools I ever made still going strong over 20 yrs later. takes a 6x120 belt

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r302 ... %20sander/

LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

My favorite for a job like this is my pocket plane.
Les Richard Forgue
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

my tools I use for fine-tuning the shape of the panels, A Stanley Sure-Form pocket plane, a rasp, and a carving knife.
I tried my hand-held orbital sander with 60 grit and also, for the farthest outside-the-line places, my jig saw, but found the non-power tools more better for this one task.

The knife or the rasp remove a lot of material quickly, the pocket plane fine-tunes.

Here's a link to a photo of the 3 tools; http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumb ... =snapfish/

I could not get the photo to load here - I get this message:
It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.
Les Richard Forgue
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

It's on a log in type screen so that's why the forum objects.
-Matt. Designer.