Stanley

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tw541
Type of boat I like: All boats

Re: Stanley

Post by tw541 »

Matt

I am also watching this with great interest. I have long considered building a mahogany runabout, but not sure I want to spend the time and money it would take. A canoe with similar styling would be unique.
Terry
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The run abouts had such bold proportions that they are tough to scale down and still have something that can be paddled and can be built reasonably easy.

Even as I look at this one I'm building, I can see where I wanted to go bolder but I knew it would significantly take away from the function. But I'll make up for it with the deck and color scheme.
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Tack welding between the stitches.

My preferred sequence:

1: Tighten stitches and adjust panels as needed.
2: Tack weld between stitches of one seam. Let cure.
3: Pull stitches.
3: Tighten and adjust the next seam.
4: Tack weld.
5: Fill in gaps of previous seam with leftover epoxy/filler.

Takes a little more time but I feel it gives me better control of the panels. Wastes a little less epoxy too.

The bottom panel will be covered in graphite so I wasn't concerned about the filler discoloring the panels. But the main side panel will be stained so I'll have to mask off and be more careful tack welding the seam.
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

This build is much about experimenting.

So I've deciding to give staining a shot.

Epoxy and typical urethane stains don't play nicely together. So using water-based stains is a must. You can also use wood dye or tint your epoxy. But I wanted to go a simple route. So stain it is.

Water based stains are consider indoor stains because direct sunlight fades them. But we'll be coating this with fiberglass, epoxy, and then clear marine paint. So no worries about Mr. Sunshine ruining our hard work. Here's what they have a the local big box store:

Note that it says clear tint base. So you take it to the paint counter and tell them the color you want. I opted for antique red. I followed the direction on the can (except using the recommended "stain prep" product which seems like a good way to get you to spend extra $$).

First coat came out nice. But not the deep red I was hoping for. However, the can does state muti applications might be needed. So we'll wait the recommended 2 hours and give it another coat. Also, this will be covered in epoxy and most epoxies have an amber tint. So I'm hoping that will help deeper the red tones that I'm looking for.

Here's a side-by-side with stained okoume and unstained okoume.

I'll follow up with more after the 2-hour wait time.
-Matt. Designer.
tw541
Type of boat I like: All boats

Post by tw541 »

I like that color. I bet it's pretty dark with the epoxy added.
Terry
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

tw541 wrote:I like that color. I bet it's pretty dark with the epoxy added.
It just wasn't getting the color I wanted. I thought about it, did some research, and West System Epoxy recommends this brand of water-based stain: http://www.wdlockwood.com .

It's a powder so I can control the tone I want better. I ordered #34 Colonial Red and also got a sample of #28 Conc. Bright Red. Would love to be able to do something like this:

http://www.classicboat.com/wooden-boats ... ck-21j.htm
-Matt. Designer.
FloatingFisher

Post by FloatingFisher »

Looking very good Matt!
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

You all may have noticed this project came to hard stop. The reason is I lost my mom a couple weeks ago. Took some time to be with my dad in Wisconsin. We do that 16-hour trip in the car over two days. And the return trip just drained me. Going back to work at my day job was tough this week.

But mom wouldn't want me sitting around. So I'm up and at it again and will get some pictures up tomorrow, hopefully. Wasn't sure what I was going to name the boat when I started but I know now. :)
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Sorry to hear bout your Mom passing that is never good news.
When my Mother passed I was lucky enough to be building a kayak and I put my thoughts and effort into the build , it really helped me to accept everything. Especially since Dad passed several years earlier and I had all the final arraignments and a extra home on my hands.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Couldn't get the color I wanted from water based stains. Did some research and found this company.

-Recommended mixing says to use 4 ounces to 2-8 quarts of water. I'd never use all that.
-Recommended application is applying a watered down coat (Part A). Then final coat with mixed shade you want (Part B).

So I mixed

Part A: 1 tablespoon to 1/2 quart of water
Part B: 2-1/2 tablespoons to 1/2 quart of water.

The bottom test color is the one I'm going with. It doesn't show in the picture but the deep reds really pop out in the sun.

-Matt. Designer.