Wider TV 12 32 ?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
oldbuffpilot
Type of boat I like: pirogue for fishing

Wider TV 12 32 ?

Post by oldbuffpilot »

Matt,
I’m ready to start my third JEM. The TV 15 32 and TV 12 32 both exceeded my expectations. I could not be happier with them. I’m considering doing another 15 32 out of cedar strips as the Luann 15 32, my first S&G, is a little too heavy for my years. As you know it is very stable. The TV 12 32 is very close to my ideal truck boat, except more stability would be better in the years to come.

So two questions before I decide which to build again.

It seems I read somewhere there was an update to the TV 15 32 plans. Are my 00 05 20 09 Drawings current?

How would it work to widen the TV “12 32” to increase stability? It is about 2” narrower than the 15 32. I’m very happy with my 12 32, but I am wondering if wider may better suit my future. I know you had some concerns about the 12 32 panels making the bends. The cedar strip panels went into position easily and could not have fit better.

Those are my questions; I will soon start stripping cedar to build another TV of some dimensions. You’re obviously the design and result expert.

Thanks,
Andy.
"To Them We Owe a Solemn Obligation"
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Wider TV 12 32 ?

Post by jem »

I updated the TV15-32 file with some minor adjustments to improve "buildability". The older version are perfectly fine.

A wider 12 foot version could be done but I think you'd get more stability and easier build from a small square stern version. Easier to paddle too. Might lose a little speed but not much compared to a 12-36 version.

I need to get those 12' plans posted.
-Matt. Designer.