Two New Builds TV 12 32 and Crawdad 11 34

Builder show and discuss their progress.
oldbuffpilot
Type of boat I like: pirogue for fishing

Post by oldbuffpilot »

I decided that since cure time was one of the reasons it took so long to build, it would be about as fast to build two boats in about the same time as one. Not completely true, but I did it! Last year Matt scaled down the TV 15-32 to a TV 12-32. I built it SS&G. I really liked it, not as stable as the previous built plywood TV 15 32, but much easier to load and unload. I gave the TV 12 32 to a REAL good friend on his 60th birthday. But I liked it so well I built another one. I also ask Matt to design a short stable boat. He came up with an 11’ 6” “Crawdad” which looks much like the Gheenoe. I call it the Crawnoe. This post will try to show both builds and some techniques that work for me. There are many different techniques, I’ve shown some that seem to work for me. ALL of these ideas originated from previous builder post. Which is the reason for me posting, to share with others.

For the TV 12 32, I already had Patterns (1/2 length). Matt drew the Crawdad full length so I used a roll of “floor protection” cardboard from HD. This way the patterns roll up to store. In my opinion for SS&G the full length drawing is the way to go. I know Ron lofts his plans straight on the glued strips. I’d like to use his method, I tried that but wasn’t smart enough! For my glue up guidelines, I outlined each panel in a different color on one piece of craft paper before covering them with plastic that way I only had to lay out the “rough patterns” and plastic once.

So the steps were:
Rip and plane the cedar
Loft the full size patterns on the cardboard and cut them out.
Trace the cardboard patterns onto craft paper.
Cover the craft paper with plastic, and glue the rough shaped stripped panels together extending slightly over the Pattern outline.
Plane the slightly oversized sized panels
Trace the pattern on the rough shaped glued panel, cut and sand the edges to
finished size and shape.
Stitch and Glue as a normal

Pictures :
Skillsaw jig for ripping
capture screen

free image uploading

Ripping strips
upload images free

Card board pattern bottom crawdad
image hosting 10mb limit

Three patterns traced on paper
upload jpg

Gluing tumblehome TV 12 32
upload pictures online

Tracing rough panel to final shape
free photo hosting

Sanding panel to final size
image upload no size limit

Drilling stitch holes
host image online

Stitching TV 12 32
gif image hosting

Filleting
image hosting 30 mb

Smoothing edges
windows screenshot

Glassing
how to screenshot on windows 7

Deck supports
free pic

Glassing on decks
upload pictures online

Crawdad
how to screenshot on windows

free upload image

First Time crawdad
image hosting 15mb

TV 12 32
image sharing

Fishing TV 12 32
image upload free

Fishing crawdad
adult image hosting

Both boats are light, but sturdy. The TV paddles and handles the wind best. The crawdad is VERY stable. The square stern on the crawdad makes it very easy to carry in the pickup bed. I haven’t weighed either but best guess is 28 -30 lbs. Once again I’m very happy with the design and function. I’m beginning to appreciate that these different designs are really different and each has its own qualities.

Thanks Matt for two great designs. Thanks also to all of you that have previously posted builds and answered questions. More about these boats after I use them for a while.

Good Fish’n
Andy
"To Them We Owe a Solemn Obligation"
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Two New Builds TV 12 32 and Crawdad 11 34

Post by OnkaBob »

Good post Andy - some nice work there.

Just 1 small criticism - your workshop is waaay too tidy :D .
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Nice work. How'd the Crawdad do for you?
-Matt. Designer.
oldbuffpilot

Post by oldbuffpilot »

Matt and Bee ,
I haven’t used the Crawdad enough to get a comprehensive report yet. My first impression is that it is a very good “old man’s truck boat.”
Pros
It weighs 28.5lbs. The final cedar panels were 5mm, 6 oz cloth doubled in wear areas and around the top.
Very easy to load and transport in a pickup. The square stern helps this a lot.
Stability couldn’t be better. My seat is at 9 inches and could go higher. I can stand but at age 72 probably not smart.
Paddles real well, straight and easy, until the wind starts effecting it.
Cons
The wind signature maybe a problem. Mostly the bow swings in a breeze.

I haven’t been able to get a fair comparison with other boats in the same wind conditions and usage. It’s been out 3 times, twice to just paddle and play with it, and one 5-6 hour fishing trip up and back down a small river (creek), with about 20 knots of wind. I need to use it some more to make any definite statements.

The water line with payload of 230lbs is right at the seam of the two “sides”. A Little lower than this picture which had about 190 lb load.
I think it would be a really great boat for Gheenoe enthusiast. After using the Crawdad it’s easy to see why they are almost a “cult”

My initial thoughts are it would be the perfect truck boat (I know Ron no such thing) if it had a pirogue front and top similar to the TV. I would be interested in trying a version with less wind signature. I would like to be able to pass the building skills and design of a perfect truck boat to my grandchildren. Right now they are using UJ’s that they built. This boat is much more advanced than the reliable and basic UJ design.

Good Fish’n
Andy
oldbuffpilot

Post by oldbuffpilot »

I cleaned up the “crawdad’ to varnish, so thought I’d post an update. I really like this little boat. It is easy to load and carry in the short bed pickup. The square stern stabilizes it both in the truck and on the water. It is very stable and paddles reasonably well. After several trips I decided a thwart would be a good idea. Probably not necessary, but you never know when a geezer might drop it or the wind roll it down a gravel bar. The seat at 9 inches and the high sides are both secure and comfortable.

I put some vertical (pvc) rod holders in the thwart. They work ok for open water, not so well in the brush. The front rod holders for fishing are modified from some two dollar rod holders from Academy, and double as paddle holders. I was pretty proud of them for holding crappie poles. A VERY large Gasper Goo changed my mind I will replace them with something stronger.

I am really pleased with this boat, well suited for my purpose and fishing style. Thanks Matt (JEM Watercraft) for another unique design.

Good Fish’n

Andy

post images

how to take a screenshot on a pc
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Post by Phishtech »

Have you considered putting a 30 lb. thrust trolling motor on the back of the Crawdad? You wouldn't have to worry about the wind.

I haven't been on the forum in a while and was surprised to see two new boats. Your work on them is excellent, very nice looking boats.

I'm retired now (70 yrs) and drive a school bus to keep busy and not go crazy, but just last night I was thinking I needed to build another boat to give me something to do this summer. Looked at Uncle John's Bayou Skiff and that looks good, but so does your Crawdad. I've built the TV 15-29 and the TPV 15-29 but that 12x32 looks like a nice light weight boat to throw in the back of my truck. Dang, too many choices. Oh well, I'll figger it out soon.

As usual, Matt has done a great job on two new designs. He's the best!

Phishtech
oldbuffpilot

Post by oldbuffpilot »

I am real happy with the crawdad. It is easy to carry in the truck, stable and paddles fine. I just happen to have a 30# Minn Kota that I cut off to play with on one of my Herb Lites. When I return home to a real shop I will work on a remote wireless steering for the crawdad and see how much fun I can find there. Also I’m wondering about maybe a higher tech smaller battery. I definitely recommend the crawdad, looking at 73 in 2 months and the boat is just what I needed.
Good Fish’n

Andy
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

-Matt. Designer.
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

Looky there Andy, you are famous now. :mrgreen:
Bob
oldbuffpilot

Post by oldbuffpilot »

She's a stable, good paddling, fishing platform. Easy to carry even in the short bed truck. I hope to build another when we get things squared away.
Andy