More SS&G questions

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
redbaron
Type of boat I like: Trapper 15

More SS&G questions

Post by redbaron »

After very much enjoying the last build, an SS&G Buccaneer, we are thinking of building an SS&G canoe for my mom. I REALLY like my Trapper 15, and so does my mom, so we're thinking of purchasing another set of plans and going that route.

The problem is, I am not certain how well an SS&G will put up with the stress of the "bend and twist" that the bottom panel has to put up with before fiber glassing. Does anybody have any experience I can lean on, or suggestions on how to make this build work in SS&G?

Thanks!
-------
Chris
Trapper 15-35
SS&G Buccaneer
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: More SS&G questions

Post by Oldsparkey »

I built the Sasquatch which has about the same twists and bends in it. When you get the frames set in position the panels will temporarily attach to them and then the panels take shape without any problems.

Page #1 of my post might be of some help explaining that.
Click here ..... http://www.southernpaddler.com/phpBB3/v ... f=2&t=5355

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

redbaron wrote:After very much enjoying the last build, an SS&G Buccaneer, we are thinking of building an SS&G canoe for my mom. I REALLY like my Trapper 15, and so does my mom, so we're thinking of purchasing another set of plans and going that route.

The problem is, I am not certain how well an SS&G will put up with the stress of the "bend and twist" that the bottom panel has to put up with before fiber glassing. Does anybody have any experience I can lean on, or suggestions on how to make this build work in SS&G?

Thanks!
Many of my designs have the bottom twist and have been built successfully. Use marine grade plywood to ensure best results.
-Matt. Designer.
redbaron
Type of boat I like: Trapper 15

Post by redbaron »

I think I'd like to skip the marine grade plywood and try to build it with the Strip Stitch & Glue method.

Do you think panels made from wood strips glued together would handle the twist? Our SS&G Buccaneer didn't have the twists that the Trapper and Sasquatch have.

Thanks!
-------
Chris
Trapper 15-35
SS&G Buccaneer
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

they will handle it
ron