saw dust is coming again

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
G8trwood
Type of boat I like: the sit on top kayak

Re: saw dust is coming again

Post by G8trwood »

I have one and they are great, but heavy like a hobie pa14, then add 60 lbs for a motor.

A lightweight one powered by a 2.5/3.5 would be ideal.

I concur on a couple inches wider. I think the bateau version is 49, but he is adamant against the split tail. It has +|- but, reaching the motor and balance are really nice.

I put my Jackson kayak seat on it for a more comfortable ride. Now if I could only make a mini stick steer for my honda..lol..
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I think i can ss@g this boat and come out between 55 and 70 lbs . That should be about half of the factory boat. How do you find the stability of yours at 41 inches Is there anything you would change about yours?
I sure would love to hear more about your thoughts on his design
Ron
Thanks

Ps where are you located if you dont mind me asking
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Hey MM long time no see , how have you been. This is a neat little boat and i think at the weight you can build it at you could car top two of them. What are your thoughts on this little rig?
Matt holler at me at your convenience
Ron
G8trwood

Post by G8trwood »

I really like it, I was going to build the wf15-32, but shoulder problems had me second guessing myself as a day of paddling and fishing wipes me out for a few days as my shoulder would be enflamed.

I'm 56, 5-10, 210 and I can stand and use it as a SUP as long as the current and wind are not to bad. I typically paddle around while fishing. Design glides really well. I don't pole it as everything is a muck bottom.. The inside deck can get a little cramped with the wide gunnels. A few inches wider and still fit a truck bed would be ideal I think. And if you can hit the weight goal, I would build one too.

The split tail reall helps balance the boat and the center hatch seat area is the balance point with a 60lb Honda 6hp on it. As anything having rod storage, etc planned out makes the design better. The clean design makes it easy to clean :) not a lot of molded recesses to catch dirt. Support structure is all under neath with small pillars like ) ( and the rotomold and rotomold foam is tough and rigid.

My kayak is a Jackson big tuna, and the solo floats shallower, i think it is due to having a flat bottom without any rocker. In retrospect, I would have picked a different motor as the foot of the Honda interferes with the turning radius and for my needs, a 3.5 would have been plenty for ducking down the ICW and up the creeks around St Augustine

Havng a place to build in a transducer like the Hobie would also be nice.

It is nice to crank up at the end of the day and motor back to the launch :P
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

g8 thanks for the info. if you ever have time could you take measurments of the split tail and pics of bottom and nose bottom
Thanks Ron
G8trwood

Post by G8trwood »

No problem, I will be out of town until Thursday, but will take them when I get back
G8trwood

Post by G8trwood »

A quick comment about width, the Solo is 41" the distance between wheel wells on most compact pickups, 42... could be a coincidence,,,

Obviously with a trailer or full sized truck this doesn't matter.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Well guys.... This has fallen off my radar but was thinking about it.

Ron, is this something you want to go ahead with now or wait a bit? I found you old voicemail on my phone. I'll give you a ring this evening if you don't reply here.

Some design thinking: I'd want to keep this in the trolling motor, 2-3 range of HP.
-Matt. Designer.
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Post by Mick »

Hey Matt, I'm also real keen on this one. Do you want to do it as a custom job ?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Wee could do that.
-Matt. Designer.