Sabalo

Info about our Products and Services
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

(PSSTT - over here. If you look close at Sparkey's pictures, you'll notice that he glued his pencil to the boards. He sez that's so he can record where he catches fish. but I think he fibs.)
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jimgrifffin
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Source for Plywood Tampa Area

Post by jimgrifffin »

OK guys I live in Lakeland Fl and built a Sabalo and got my plywood, (Okuma 4mm) here in Lakeland at American Hardwoods, Approx $43/ sheet. I belong to a CFKA (kayak club) and several people have seen my Sabalo and all have been really impressed. As far as paddling it is not as fast as the Heritage 14' Redfishers but comes close. They seem to have better glide characteristics. I just waxed the bottom of mine (have the epoxy graphite on the bottom and it has been sanded) and will see if there is any improvement this weekend as we have a club trip planned. :P
barefoot dave

Post by barefoot dave »

I'll surprise Matt and pipe in here break my vow of silence, Be very careful about the waxing your hull, most of the waxes have some portion of their content as silicone which will make any future application of epoxy for repairs or whatever tricky at best. As a side note, if any one there is interested in a finished one, a bit heavy @ about 55lbs, but mine is a bit of a bear to get in my boat hanger/living space and I need the room to begin building the Wadefish.
jimgrifffin

Waxing

Post by jimgrifffin »

Thanks for the info. I have already applied 2 coats so if I do any repairs or additions to the bottom I guess I better do some more sanding to try and get it all removed in addition to wiping it down with solvents.

If anybody has any advice on the correct procedure to accomplish this I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for the heads up. :oops:
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: Waxing

Post by Oldsparkey »

jimgrifffin wrote:Thanks for the info. I have already applied 2 coats so if I do any repairs or additions to the bottom I guess I better do some more sanding to try and get it all removed in addition to wiping it down with solvents.

This is a hard problem to correct . :oops: .. It will require you to do some paddling. :D

Use the boat , paddle it and then if you have to do anything to the bottom just sand it really good in the area needing some work and wipe it down with acetone (away from any flames ) and it should be OK to proceed with the repairs.
Remember the graphite mix is graphite and epoxy. Epoxy being the key word here , sanding being the next key word.

The Florida Rivers and the sand will take the polish off the bottom just by paddling it.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jimgrifffin

Post by jimgrifffin »

If that's all that's involved, I think I can handle it. :D Especially the paddling part. I plan on getting started on it this weekend. :lol:
ADHORNE

SABOLO

Post by ADHORNE »

jimgrifffin ,

Thanks for the advice on American Hardwoods. I will have to check them out. Do you Have a phone number or address for them?

I live in the Brandon/Plant City area, Do you think there may be a chance of us hooking up and letting me view a built Sabolo. If interested I can give ya my email and set something up. I would like to see one already built as well as get some inside tips/info.
jcubero

Post by jcubero »

As many Florida folks as are on here, I'd love to see a "Jem Watercraft Canoe Expedition." We hit one of the million springs in the central Florida area and take a group picture - then we turn around and take a pic of all the envious folks starting at our boats, he he. 8)
Of course, we have to wait until I build mine! How about it? If there's interest we could try to organize something, post pics on the forum....
--
Javier
barefoot dave

Post by barefoot dave »

Waxing the hull to improve unfortunately is a common trap that even I have started to fall into until I looked at it closer. After all if it feels sooth to you hands it’s got to be faster in the water, right … wrong. Things like the density of water, laminar flow characteristics, among others gets in the way of this idea.

When the time comes, a liberal use of some isopropyl alcohol (not the stuff from the drug store by the way, go to a good epoxy supplier, not sure if Larry at RAKA carries it though) will help remove most of it, denatured alcohol will work though not as well and is easier to find, don’t use mineral sprits or acetone and similar products as the leave residue that will cause other problems.

Next I will put in a shameless plug for 2 videos. The first, “The Forward Stroke Clinic” by Brent Reitz, http://www.wildsprint.com/video_dvd.htm , this is the one I like the best. The second is “The Forward Stroke” by Greg Barton and Oscar Chalupsky (Epic Kayaks) http://www.epicpaddles.com/products/det ... 76&cid=786 . If you would like to go faster, working on a better forward stroke will do more than almost anything you can do to your boat, of course this is making a very irrational assumption that you aren’t planning on entering the Eskimo Rolling Olympics and using the requisite Eskimo Paddle. Admittedly, a lot of what they talk about deals with a very vertical stroke which the Sabalo is a bit to wide for, but if you apply what the teach I can assure you, you will see a big improvement in speed and how long you can maintain that speed.

Javier
Sounds like a good idea, there is one event coming up that might be of interest for the gathering, the Alafia Challenge 2006, Nov. 11th, http://www.alafiachallenge.com/ .I’m hoping to have something new finished for that if the current hurricane season doesn’t get in the way.
jimgrifffin

Okuma

Post by jimgrifffin »

OK Here is the correct name for the company that has the wood in Lakeland. Hardwood Lumber & Millwork 863-646-8681. Adhorne you are more than welcome to come and take a look. I live in Lakeland Fl at 3529 Southcrest Blvd. Give me a call. 863-647-5653.. I think a get together of Jemwatercraft is a good Idea.

Thanks dave for the info.