Sea Scout 1 Cuddy Sailboat

Builder show and discuss their progress.
lost1966
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Sea Scout 1 Cuddy Sailboat

Post by lost1966 »

Ahoy gang,

Recently I have found the DXF files to build the sea Scout 1 Cuddy sailboat @ 17' 5"

My grandfather had a vessel very similar to this years ago and named er after my Grand Mums. Since then, 30+ years, both have been laid to rest as well as Gramps. I am looking forward to revisiting my youth and reaquireing that relationship of sailing with gramps and remembering how much fun we all had. Hoping to bring a relationship with sailing to my wife and children, all of whom love the water.

The problem is that I have not been able to find nothing more than the free plans, showing length,beam and the idea that the cuddy can be built from 16 sheets of ply but there are no other building instructions, parts list, rigging instructions etc..... Can anyone help me?

The CAD plans don't show scale or not either..... I know I can type in full scale of 17' 5" and try to go from there but it would be nice to have all my ducks in a row before I attempt the endevoure.

Thanks in advance,

Francis
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

The Sea Scout #1 is a lot nicer then the #2. It is darn closer to the type of sail boat I would like to have. Especially one to camp on.

http://sailing.about.com/gi/dynamic/off ... DMO-scout1

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The boat is on Morten's Site,

http://www.boatplans.dk/sail_boats.asp?BType=MO-scout1

Here's a drawing:

-Matt. Designer.
lost1966
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by lost1966 »

Chuck,

Thanks for your reply....but....

yes, that is the right vessel, but with those free plans you only get the DXF file. it shows nothing about building instructions,rigging etc.....That is the part I am looking for.

I have sent in a request to see if they have lofted and rolled plans for this vessel instead of just the CAD file. I guess with a lot more work and time I could figure it out and begin the build. But I would rather choose the right way, rather than begin guestimating right off the start.

Francis
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I could look into having a kit cut from those files for you.
-Matt. Designer.
lost1966

Post by lost1966 »

Thanks JEM,

Same response to your reply,

I have the DXF file but they show nothing more than a DXF drawing and Template drawings. It simply shows a parts list of 1 sheet of 12mm,9 sheet of 9mm and 8 sheets of 6mm plywood. we all know that there is a LOT more to it than that.

I don't know the scale nor are there any building or rigging instructions.

This is what I really need.

Francis
lost1966

Pre Cut Kit

Post by lost1966 »

JEM,

That might be a way to go if it came with a set of building instruction.
Mind you that I have experience in wood working,fiberglass and bodywork, I have built many smaller boats from radio controled to speed boats to cruise the river behind my home but nothing over 10'.

This endeavoure will be twice that size and a very personal one, for that reason alone I would at least like to attempt scratch building, but with some building instruction. I have the tools,time and desire, I just require a complete parts list and building instruction package.

If it comes to where I cannot aquire these items I may become interested in your idea of a precut kit persay. The cost of such a kit I can only imagine. Do tell..........

How about full size Paper Patterns?

Francis
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I emailed Mo. It's very early a.m. over there. He has the ability to print full size patterns and since it's his design, I'll let him try and help you first.

If he can't for whatever reason, then I could have patterns printed.

I'm sure he'll be responding and jumping into the conversation shortly.
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Just got an e-mail message from Mo.

He's traveling right now and is doing e-mail via cell phone. So he won't be back at a computer and be able to give answer until Friday. But he promises to answer all questions then.
-Matt. Designer.
lost1966

Post by lost1966 »

Thanks,

I would really like to get things together and begin the build throughout the winter/spring months and float her this coming summer.

Lost1966