Jcubero's Merrimac

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

you got that right...build it as you need it!

Sounds like what you want to do is "cold molding".

You could also build with one layer of fiberglass, and then on the outside bottom put a layer of Dynel cloth. Dynel cloth is more resin thirsty but very tough. It won't add much stiffness by along with the graphite, I think you'll get more the abbrassion resistence than another layer of plywood.
-Matt. Designer.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

Well the extra layer of ply was not for abration resistance but more for stiffness. Instead of applying ribs. to prevent oil canning. I am not so sure I want a bottom that will flex a lot. Is it okay to just go ahead and thin epoxy with acetone or is that more of a question for the epoxy manufacturer?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

oh ok.

Take her out once lightly loaded to see if you need it.

For thinning, follow manufacturers recommendation which is usually up to 5%.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Other thoughts - notice how easy it is to come up with a lot if wild ideas if someone else has to spend their time and money to do them??!!)

Some strips of 1/8" plywood of, say, 3" width running longitudinally would stiffen it a lot. Glue these to the existing bottom.

I'd want a platform or low-sided box for a battery. Also, consider sprinkling some baking soda around in that box and laying a rag or old towel in there under that battery. Battery acid and wooden boats may not be a good mix.

HINT: use REAl baking soda; gree-itz won't work.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Kayak Jack wrote:
Some strips of 1/8" plywood of, say, 3" width running longitudinally would stiffen it a lot. Glue these to the existing bottom.
What Jack is thinking about is the same thing I did to the bottom of the Swamp Girl to stop the oil canning since I used such thin wood to build her.

I used 3/4 inch strips....... since that was some left over wood from making her.

A closer look........

The center was built up to stop the problem and help to save on the weight.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler