Hairie"s South Wind Build.

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Wimperdink
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Wimperdink »

hairymick wrote:Now I remember ! :D

I just wanted to play with my new Forstner drill bits :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I make stuff up!
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

OK,

Bit more done today,

Bottom stitched,

Bottom On !! :D :D

1st Side panel on :D :D :D

Nutha view :D :D

sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :oops:
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Was the bow giving you a hard time?
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Mick,

Your extra little braces on the outside of the bow remind me of the canoe I built a few years ago. Those panels did not bend and flow right at the very ends. I applied horizontal braces along the inside, and then some extra wires along the joint. Those horizontal braces are now a permanent part of my boat.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I'd get the rest of the main hull stitched up first before screwing in those braces tight.

It will aid the front shape.
-Matt. Designer.
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

Jeez Mick, how many hours do you Aussie's have in a day under there? On this side we only have 24, it must be some metric thing :lol:

Wonder if the little tip MK posted about a dowel would have worked in place of your little braces? A dowel on the inside and outside of the hull panel, wire looped around each dowel and thru the gap between the two panels then twist to pull the two dowels towards each other.

Looks great. I am humbled by your speed and progress (and a little embarrassed by my lack of :oops: ). Might get to stitching my hull next weekend, doing the glass patch on the panel joints today.

DM
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Was the bow giving you a hard time?
Yeah mate, I just couldn't get the panels to stay lined up.
I'd get the rest of the main hull stitched up first before screwing in those braces tight.

It will aid the front shape.
will do :D

Jeez Mick, how many hours do you Aussie's have in a day under there? On this side we only have 24, it must be some metric thing
Mate, once the strongback is assembled, It help me a lot - time wise.
Wonder if the little tip MK posted about a dowel would have worked in place of your little braces? A dowel on the inside and outside of the hull panel, wire looped around each dowel and thru the gap between the two panels then twist to pull the two dowels towards each other.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing but had another brain fart and wasn;t applying them properly. Thanks mate for reminding me about them. Will definately be trying that with the next problem.

Looks great. I am humbled by your speed and progress (and a little embarrassed by my lack of ). Might get to stitching my hull next weekend, doing the glass patch on the panel joints today.
Thanks mate, But I have seen the quality work you have put out. My workmanship will never be able to compare and my finished boat won't be nearly as pretty as yours. :D
Regards,
Mick

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Bit more done today :D

Second side panels are on. I just love this stage, watching butchered sheets of ply coming together to look like a boat. For me, this is by far the best part of the job.. Can't wait for tomorrow to get the tumblehome panels on. :D

Regards,
Mick

Wimperdink

Post by Wimperdink »

wow mick thats really looking like a boat. Its looking great. I love following others project progress in pictures. Glad to see you have other float toys in there. It helps waiting for epoxy to dry when your out in another canoe floating around.
I make stuff up!
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Wimpadink,

Thanks mate. Gonna have ta throw up another shed shortly. :D

Bit more done these past couple of days :D

All hull panels on

All panels tacked :D :D

Stitches out :D

Regards,
Mick