Swamp Girl Progess

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: 80% of stitching done!

Post by jem »

Mullet_Key wrote:Got the panels stitched to the frames, all the panels are loosely stitched, except the ends. Step 7: "The 6mm floor panels have a twist in them so you'll have to force it a bit." Well Yeah!! It was me and the Swamp Girl... Mano a Bateau... with steel wire, needle nose pliers and the garaged door closed... I got her down. Actually I got one end stitched up. The wounds will have to heal before I tackle the other end. Photo's are still in the film camera. I'm so low tech. MK
lol...those bottom panels are the tightest twist I have in any of my plans. The wood will take it though.

I've never been a big fan of wire. Poked my fingers too many times. That's why I like the plastic zip ties.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

A couple of my boats still have small pieces of wire in them. I tried to remove it a bit too late, and the epoxy was stronger than the wire.

It sometimes helps if you use a regular pair of pliers, grasp the wire right up tight, and then gently r-o-l-l-l-l the pliers over. This eases the wire out with finesse.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Mullet_Key
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Removing wires from the end sections

Post by Mullet_Key »

On my Pygmy, I used the hot-wire car battery method for the wires embedded in expoxy on the ends.
1.) Clip wires leaving about 1/2" on each end, making sure both are reasonalby straight.
2.) With heavy gauge wire, clip the ground to one end,
3.) Using heavy wire, clip or touch the other end, to make positive contact. It will start to glow quickly.
4.) Remove clip, make a straight pull. Pulled clean on every one.
Pygmy Arctic Tern
JEM Swamp Girl -15
JEM Wadefish 15
Mullet_Key

Post by Mullet_Key »

All dimensions checked, all stitched up and started the "spot welding" last night.
Pygmy Arctic Tern
JEM Swamp Girl -15
JEM Wadefish 15
Mullet_Key

Post by Mullet_Key »

After a short hiatus.. the hull is complete. Just finished the second fill coat of the exterior glass. Will start dressing off the inside, adding gunnels, rubrails and the short decks.
Pygmy Arctic Tern
JEM Swamp Girl -15
JEM Wadefish 15

Post by Guest »

Well, Mullet, good to hear the hammer and saw back in action again. I'm pretty good at stretching a two month project into 6-8 months myself.