dangermouse01 builds a Wadefish 2.0

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

wow! the view counter has jumped 2000 hits since he posted the pictures!!
-Matt. Designer.
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

jem wrote:wow! the view counter has jumped 2000 hits since he posted the pictures!!
Just me trying to pad my numbers. :lol: :lol:

Seriously guys, thanx for all the good words, it good to hear. :oops:

By the way, you cant really tell from the pictures, but that is a 10 foot finish (well, maybe a 5 foot finish).

I still dont like to varnish, love the way it looks, but dont like the doing it.

Manjimike, as with all my other wooden boats, once they are moved out of the garage and onto the water for the first time, they will never look the same (until I varnish them again). I build 'em to use 'em. Running aground on oyster bars, dropping them in the driveway, having things fall on them, the list goes on. None of it is intentional, but if happens and I know it will. The first time hurts, the second time not so much.

Chuck & Mick, I said I was "done varnishing" not done with the building. Still need to do all the rigging, but I might have a few pictures laying around, I will have to look. Hold tight, Christmas is coming.:wink:

DM
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

dangermouse01 wrote:
Chuck & Mick, I said I was "done varnishing" not done with the building. Still need to do all the rigging, but I might have a few pictures laying around, I will have to look. Hold tight, Christmas is coming.:wink:

DM
Yep .. Mick , DM just wants me to collect a ton of Love Bugs on the Jeep and drive over to his place ( Less then half of a tank full) so I can take some pictures of his work of art to share with everyone.

If I have to do that then he gets to scrape all the Love Bugs off the Jeep as I take the pictures of his wonderful work.

DM , remember I'm retired but still have connections in finding someone and flashing a badge does not hurt. After all , how many dangermouse01 are there in your neck of the woods building wood boats of that caliber. :lol: :lol: :lol: I can only think of ONE.

"O" Almost forgot , I have to be over at Porkeys for a BBQ lunch with some of the guys before starting this quest. A person needs there nurshiment.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Mouse, very nice work. Also, nice job of picking a girlfriend with a good garage. (See, Chuck. He ain't so dumb as we thought he was!)
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Flump

Post by Flump »

Stunning mate, fantastic finish on the kayak. Can you tell me what Epoxy and varnish you were using? Just curious :wink: :D
Build and paddle your own kayak - it doesn't get much better than that!
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

THE BOATS WET!!!!!(sorta)
Was at my 9-5 again on this Saturday, working away and then the building lost power right at 2:00 PM for some reason. Computer down, no lights 'cept for the safety lights, luckily I saved my files about 15 minutes earlier so no major loss. Waited 10 minutes, lights didn't come back on, so I was out of there, 9 hours today instead of the planned 11. Went home got the trailer, drove over to the girlfriends house and brought the boat back to my place. Was just starting to put the stands back on the roll around cart and then the thunder started and then the rain, so it got rained on instead of floated. :lol:

Flump, the epoxy I use is MAS Epoxies, with the slow hardener. The varnish is PETTIT Z-spar 1015 Captain's Varnish. I thinned it with FLOOD Penetrol at 4 parts varnish to 1 part penetrol, for the first three coats, still had to work fairly quick to keep a wet edge. The temps are still in the upper 80's to low 90's in Florida. Others coats were a mixture of less penetrol. If it was cool enough, the last one would have been just varnish.
Applied with a 2 inch foam brush (good ones, with a wooden handle).

Got most of the rigging done, 'cept for the carry handles and the footman loops for bungies and the seat.
A few pictures. Chuck and Mick wanted photos.
Yes the hatch at the front of the cockpit will open with the foot pegs there. I made sure before I went with it.
Stepping back in here for a minute, I know the foot pads on the braces are upside down in the next photo.I will flip them tomorrow.:oops::oops::oops:
Been doing some stuff with the Silky Heavy paper, Matt sent me a sticker, and I scanned it into the computer and then printed it on the SHP, and laminated it under the cloth at various locations on the boat. This one is on the back wall of the tankwell. You may have caught glimpses of the in some of the other photos.
SN0001...How cool is that! 8)

These next few photos are showing how the cockpit deck joins the fore deck flush, with out the little step. Very clean and sleek.
My props to the boat designer. Scanned and printed on the SHP and laminated under the cloth.
See it did get wet.

DM
14004 and counting
Last edited by dangermouse01 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Usually I don't let anyone post pictures of a build of this caliber :roll: in the southernpaddler Boat Bragging section but since you are here in Florida and almost a neighbor , I can make an exception on that rule.

I sure would not want to make a neighbor mad at me when he wants to post some pictures of his boat with us... Even if it is some work of this standard or quality . Not bad for a practice build , now when are you going to get serious about it....:P

"O" by the way to avoid you any embarrassment about how the boat came out , you can put it in my shop so no one will see it , except for when I take it to boat shows and win all the blue ribbons and make folks drool when looking at it......

She is a honey , she is not just a boat , she is a work of ART..... Some dam good boat building art and craftsmanship. My hat is off to you.

Beautiful , absolutely.......... BEAUTIFUL.

Chuck.
Last edited by Oldsparkey on Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Flump

Post by Flump »

Thank you for the info Dangermouse, I've just run out of the varnish I'm using on a pdracer so am going out to buy more this morning so I can go sailing next weekend hence the curiosity :D .

Those close up photos you've posted show just how careful you've been during the build, I'm very impressed mate, looks wonderful and I hope you enjoy paddling SN0001 around. Just beware at the launches, it'll take you about an hour to get onto the water once you've been asked all the questions by curious passers by :lol: :D .
Happy paddling........Nick
Build and paddle your own kayak - it doesn't get much better than that!
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Mouse,

Your work is magnificent mate. :shock: :D

I think I'll go have a little lie down now.

Check ya PMs. please.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

VERY nice, Mouse. I think you're going to enjoy fishing with that boat for a LONG time. And many times too.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.