drift boat plans anyone????

Info about our Products and Services
Tweedie
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

drift boat plans anyone????

Post by Tweedie »

Does anyone know of a good set of drift boat plans out there? There are a few plans around the internet. I was just wondering what you easterners thought about the plans and the boats in general??

For those who may not be familiar these types of boat a really popular out here in the west for fishing from on rivers like the Colorado, the Green and San Juan. They a big and stable, can handle pretty tough rapids and are very manouverable. Check out http://home.comcast.net/~ricksco/driftb ... ctures.htm for a really nice boat that was hand built in Colorado.

Any thoughs anyone????
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I can't remember where I saw some. They're basically a rowing dory/fat pirogue.
-Matt. Designer.
Rick Tyler
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Rick Tyler »

I don't know about Easterners, but I've helped two friends here in Washington build drift boats from plans available at Glen-L. They were traditional plywood-on-frame construction, with a fiberglass wear layer on the bottom. They went together without too much problem and work well. I don't know if anyone has put together true S&G plans for a driftboat yet.
Rick Tyler
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Holy Smoke Rick,

What a beautifully finished boat. Waaay too nice to be dragging fish into.

How nice would someting like that be fitted with an old fashioned single cylinder - low teck inboard motor. We used to call that type of boat a put-put and they were used by commercial net fishermen all over our east coast right up until the outboards became so popular.

regards,

Mick
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)