Varp's Sabalo

Builder show and discuss their progress.
varp
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Varp's Sabalo

Post by varp »

Greetings,

I'm about to start building a Sabalo, but first I'd like to thank Matt the designer for all his help and putting up with all of my emails and a big thanks to Dave who is in the process of building one and who has been very generous with tips and pics. This thread is about putting all that good stuff together so anyone that's interested can contribute or just have a sticky beak.

I am a first time builder that is passionate about his fishing and mucking about in sheds. Boats and small craft have always been an interest, but living miles from the coast has meant it's been more latent than active. I've since bought a tiny shack on the coast so now I can really get my teeth into it. I do a lot of fishing in my much loved and abused 16' Canadian and had a lot of fun restoring a 13' Heron sailing dinghy, but for what I really want to do everything has been pointing to a Sabalo.

My skills are varied. Done a bit of fibreglassing and a lot of building/renovating with a prediliction for fussy detail. I enjoy the process and I might be slow, but I get a lot of pleasure out of craft so why rush it. I look forward to learning new techniques and if you can contribute in any way .......fantastic! :D

Going to kick this off with a few links of Sabalo's in progress -

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... id=4003425

http://craigtransalp.smugmug.com/gallery/701230/1

This last one is not a sabalo, but some good pics none the less -

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/gallery/SnGSOT

Cheers Ross McLeod
Last edited by varp on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Ross,

Let me know how the paper patterns work out. I'm thinking of switching over to those instead of the hardbard patterns. This will reduce cost and allow for easier shipping around the world.

I spoke with one very experienced builder who prefers paper patterns. He places the paper, and then uses an awl (ice-pick type tool) to poke a series of holes thrugh the paper and into the wood. He then removes the paper connects the dots on the plywood.

Works out very nicely for him.
-Matt. Designer.
varp
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by varp »

No worries Matt.

Look forward to recieving them so I can spread them out and start dreaming.

:D
DaveAllyn

Post by DaveAllyn »

What is the thinking behind the small chunks of plastic pipe under the zip ties? more stability? Angles?

just wondering.

dave
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I believe it's mostly to help prevent pulling the stitches through the wood.

Also helps ensure panels meeting at the proper angle.
-Matt. Designer.
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

Looks good, can't wait to see it finished... 8)
Eat.Sleep.Fish[Be the Fish]
danh

Post by danh »

JEM wrote: I spoke with one very experienced builder who prefers paper patterns. He places the paper, and then uses an awl (ice-pick type tool) to poke a series of holes thrugh the paper and into the wood. He then removes the paper connects the dots on the plywood.

Works out very nicely for him.
fwiw, I tryed the awl approach and found it too slow. I ended using carbon paper to transfer the patterns to the wood for my Console Skiff. For the size of your patterns, it will work really well.

Dan
varp

Post by varp »

Plans arrived so its away we go!

Unfortunately it co-incides with a nasty bout of work.....hardly fair, but then it gives me time to ponder. :shock:

Wonder if I've got the only pick up in Oz with a JEMCRAFT sticker on the back? :D

Cheers Ross
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

varp wrote:
Wonder if I've got the only pick up in Oz with a JEMCRAFT sticker on the back? :D

Cheers Ross
Whew hew! I've often wondered if anyone actually used those stickers I send.

And if someone down under needs one for their truck, give a shout! :D
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Matt,

Pick Me PicK me Pick me :D

regards,

Mick
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)