Rudder options?

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

To my chagrin, Verlen decided that a single blade paddle and rudder was the most effective and efficient on his Sea Winds. Myself, I wouldn't give two hoots in hell for either one. Give me a double ender and a clean boat and I'm much happier.

Now, the fact that Verlen paddled further than any other known human being - including UP the Grand Canyon - has little to do with it.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

To my chagrin, Verlen decided that a single blade paddle and rudder was the most effective and efficient on his Sea Winds
Now, the fact that Verlen paddled further than any other known human being - including UP the Grand Canyon
IMHO, The legend, Mr KRUGER, was absolutely correct. :P

More and more expedition sea kayakers are discovering the truth behind what Mr KRUGER pioneered and are experimenting with, and moving towards bent shaft, outrigger style single blades. Allmost as fast as a double, with significantly less effort and stress on the paddler = longer distances covered in a day = a more effecient paddlng system. :D

Southwind lends itself very well to both the double and single blade. Add a rudder and a good single blade to the equasion and it is a paddling machine that really has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

From what I understand, it was Verlen's position that using a single blade required less total energy over long trips than using a double blade.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Just cause he's right doesn't alleviate my prejudice.
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Kayak Jack wrote:Just cause he's right doesn't alleviate my prejudice.
Ya can lead a Mule to water but you sure can't make him drink. :lol:

As much as I hate to say this ... I'm no fan of rudders , either , I think it should be the skill of the paddler that controls the boat. My choice is a good single blade paddle but at times I do play the wind mill route and use a double.
Unless it is a double with both blades in the water at the same time , but those are called ores and are used in a different style of a boat then we make.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
FlaMike

Post by FlaMike »

Just as a reminder, I said this in my opening post:
I'm not all that interested in using a rudder while just paddling, but when fishing, I can see where one could come in very handy.
Debate on the subject of single vs. double paddle really doesn't enter into it, as having to use either while actually fishing is very awkward, even on a good day.

Trouble is, now you've got me thinking about the "what kind of paddle" question! :shock:

So far, I've tried a single-blade paddle with my Pirogue, and didn't like it one bit. I had no trouble paddling a canoe in the past with a single-blade, but never got the hang of using one with my Pirogue.

I like paddling around in it with the double-blade I made out of a pair of those Wally-World singles, but will confess to have been harboring thoughts about buying an "off-the-shelf" kayak paddle. :oops:

Now, I guess I'll have to look into making a bent-shaft paddle and giving that a go. (For the new boats.)

Thanks guys, I was running out of complications! :lol:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Hey, Mike San. If you don't like a paddle after you buy it, you can always use it to take pizzas out of the oven! :lol:
Kayak Jack
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Heya Mike,

Paddling preferences aside,

I really like the single blade in my SW and pirogue for fishing. There is no need to worry about finding a place to put it while playing a fish - just poke it up the bow out of the road.

Also, I find the single blade creates less disturbance when sneaking round in stealth mode (less likely to disturb the fish sight fishing)
Regards,
Mick

FlaMike

Post by FlaMike »

Mick,

How then, would you describe the ideal, single-blade paddle for your Southwind? A longer, narrower blade, or a shorter, wider one? What about one of those funny-looking, "bent" paddles?

Just wondering about it, as even though my Southwind isn't being built for the extreme shallows, it will being seeing some fairly skinny water. And sometimes, this skinny water will be sitting over a hard, rocky, oyster-covered bottom. This is why I was thinking that a single paddle for my use might be one with a blade that is kind of wide, but not too long.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Mike,

I am still trying to find the ideal single blade. I am a newcomer to the whole single blade thing.

Sea kayaker magazine recently did an article on the bent shaft, outrigger style canoe paddle in use in an expedition sea kayak. I think this type of blade would better suit our needs than the traditional long narrow touring blade but I don't know for sure. The problem with the touring blade in shallow water is gaining adequate purchase to propel the boat properly.

I am still trying to build a bent shaft job with an appearence worthy of posting here. It is harder to do well than it looks but when I work out an effective and easy process, Will post details here. So far my bent laminations look like crap and I am not happy with them at all.
Regards,
Mick