Lark's Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
lark2004
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Lark's Laker

Post by lark2004 »

Hi All,

I've been a longtime admirer of Jem's watercraft.
I've watched with much interest Mick and Ron build their Laker 13's and finely decided that I will build one these fine craft.

I must really congratulate Matt on his decision to provide a free version of these boat plans. I belive that these are a great way of getting people into building boats and onto the water.

I hope that tomorrow I will be able to get some ply and start lofting the plans.

Mick or Ron, I have a quick question for either of you, what do you guy's use to cut your ply panels out? I have always had some trouble with the edges splintering (alot) when I have been cutting out panels in the past. I have tried useing a small circular saw with a fine tooth blade, and also the jigsaw with a fine blade, but still get lots of splinters. I have seen a guy on the net use a modified hacksaw blade in his jigsaw and he reckons it worked really well, a bit slow, but real smooth, do you think this would be a good way to go?

Andrew
Last edited by lark2004 on Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Lark
I use a jig saw with a metal cutting blade not real fast but lets you control it better.Smooth cut to
I also cut outside the line and then take a belt sander to finish it Picked that up from Mick
Oh thought I would let you guys know I found out something about Matt
He used to be the ceo of a potato chip company ( can't eat just one) and he is carrying it over into the boat building business . So Lark make room for at least 2 boats Matts dark side will get ya.
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

A blade with a high tooth-per-inch count does well.

Let the saw do the work. Don't push hard.
-Matt. Designer.
surfman

Post by surfman »

You should be able to get a veneer blade for your jig saw. It is a fine tooth wood cutting blade designed to cut wood with veneer like plywood. After you cut out the panels you can use a stapler to affix them together and then sand the edges of both at the same time so they both turn out as mirror images of each other. Just a few staples in the panel will do the trick.
Tight Lines, Steve
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

cheers guy's,

Ok I got the plywood thismorning, did some ringing around and got mixed answers re pricing. Then went to one of the suppliers that I deliver for (I'm a truck driver) and he gave me the 3.6mm gaboon ply for $25.00au per sheet. a bit better than the $50ish per sheet I had been quoted on the phone by some other shops.

I have the day off work today so I should have the sheets all marked out hopefully start cutting before the end of the day.

Andrew
Last edited by lark2004 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Lark,

Welcome aboard mate. and congratulations on your selection of a truly remarkable little boat. :D

Re cutting the ply, I have found the gaboon splinters pretty easily, so I cut about 3mm away from the line. Then trim down the concave surfaces with a belt sander and the convex ones with a power planer.

I only do this on the first panels. because the hull is symmetrical, all the bottom and side panels are identical. Once I have the first master panel cut and trimmed exactly to size, I screw it donw onto the other three panels and run round the whole lot with a router and a flush trim bit.

I am building a Laker for my wife at the moment and will start a detailed build thread shortly. If it will help, I will go into more detail on what I do and why. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

lofting
a3 plans, did I mention I love my new printer??
most of sheet 1 cut out (thanks Ron for the advice on useing the metal cutting blade, smooooooooth cuts. sorry Mick, I already cut the panels using Rons advice, I might give your way a go next time.)
all the templates stapled to sheet 2 ready for marking and cutting.

Not bad for day 1 of the build, unfortunatly I have to back to work tomorrow so not much will happen till the weekend.

Andrew
Last edited by lark2004 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Lark,

No problem mate. :D

Are you on the North or the South side of Brisbane?
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

northside mate, Lawnton, near Strathpine in Pine rivers.

I loved those pics of your trip to Obi Obi creek, I went bushwalking there with my family and parents a few months ago and we saw a few platapus too, but we were up on top of the gorge and were watching them with binoculars.
Andrew
mud390

Post by mud390 »

I am building a Laker for my wife at the moment and will start a detailed build thread shortly. If it will help, I will go into more detail on what I do and why
I'm not building a Laker, yet, but I'd love to see an indepth build of one, since you are offering. :D

Kris