Lark's Laker

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Kris,
I'm not building a Laker, yet, but I'd love to see an indepth build of one, since you are offering.

Kris
Mate, I have allready started a comprehensive build thread on Old Sparky, will start one here too. (first couple of posts will be duplicates. :oops:

If you are thinking of building a kayak, and it is your first build, (even if it is not your first build) I reckon you would go a very long way to find a better recreational boat than this one.

As more blokes build the Laker and word gets out about just how good it is, I think it will become a classic in its class. If you have taken the time to peruse some of my builds, you will probably have noticed that I have a shed full of very good kayaks and canoes. Laker is so good, as a recretional paddling and fishing craft, that it has become my favourite boat. That is a very big call. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
lark2004
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by lark2004 »

edges all sanded smooth and fair
Hard to believe there's boat in there, ain't it?
I guess there is one after all!

I'm going to epoxy prime the edges on the weekend so that I can start glueing the edges together, then the fun can start.
Andrew
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Lark, several observations.

1. What's a Johnny Rude? Is that an Evinrude?
2. You, like me, are fascinated by looking at a piece of flat plywood, and trying to envision a boat. Then you cut the panels, ant it is almost possible to see one. When the first panels go together - a boat emerges! It's geometrical magic!!
3. I am just as amazed at the collection of folks from around our globe palavering about boats and such, as though we were all gathered around the same warm, wood stove on a cold day. I see posts from all over the world, some advising about how to stitch in a temporary bulkhead, how to design a hatch, where to put the drain holes and at what angle, etc. etc. Guys a world away have a solution to a problem that looked severely local. Still amazes me.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

A JohnnyRude is either a Johnson or an Evinrude, since they came out of the same factory, just had different badging. Basicly if you have for example a 1968 40hp Evinrude and something breaks (very rare...but can happen).... then a part can sourced from a similar year model 40hp Johnson, and visa-versa.

All that being said, I hardly run my outboards any more, so the chance of breaking anything is now extreamly remote, unless I knock the stand over while I'm building things in my garage :P
Andrew
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

They used to be made by Outboard Marine Corporation (OMC) in Peterborough, Ontario. They were two separate companies, I believe, until about the mid-50's, when OMC bought them out. The factory building is now the site of the Canadian Canoe and Kayak Museum.
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Mariner and Mercury are the same thing , one costs less and one has a better known name. Just like Johnson and the Evinrude.

It is a old marketing practice , the best competition is against your self.:roll:

Look at all of the stores out there ( Sears or K Mart , same thing ) then really go nut's then check out who owns all of the restaurants.

Now go one step further check out who the parent company is in a lot of the food you purchase ... Yep.. I don't like this brand but this one is ten times better.... Same parent company , same quality control regulated by government standards , different labels. You pay for the label , I never eat the label , anyway not yet :roll:

Snobs can purchase the better stuff , us normal folks can get the discount ones ... they are the same no matter how you look at it except for one thing , no bragging right for us but we have the same thing , different color or name but the same stuff at a savings . :lol:

Chuck.
Last edited by Oldsparkey on Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

Ok, that was a fun little side track.

Back to boat building, I got three panels glued up today, just have to wait now for the epoxy to cure. I am going to use the fibreglass patchs rather than butt blocks. I just have to wait now until pay day to get the fibreglass cloth..... I hate waiting.....

A quick question for later on, I am thinking about leaving the top deck clear. I have been doing some research on the net in regard to this and there seems to be a lot of different opions on how to make this last for a long time with out the epoxy being affected by UV. One site I found said they use Automotive clear coats, quite specifically, Sikkens clearcoat. They claim it will last for 10 years.

Any thoughts on this????
Andrew
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Marine Varnish or LPU paint.

Those are the only two optionsI'd recommend. Everything else and you're taking a risk. However, I've never tried the product you mentioned. But to me, it's not worth the risk.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Lark,

Many builders protect their epoxy with Z-Spar Flagship varnish # 2015. I'm on of those many. Last I knew, it had the highest protection factor for UV. Maybe some varnish has surpassed it now? Haven't heard.

My experience suggests that you avoid Min-Wax products. Others within the "many" mentioned above do the same.
Kayak Jack
lark2004

Post by lark2004 »

Ok, I've done some research into the clearcoats.

It turns out that Sikkens is made by AKZO NOBLE, who also makes International marine coatings, who make all manner of two part and single pot urethane coatings, including the clearcoats.

So now I have to find out what the advantages and disadvantages of each are. The site I saw (they build strip plank kayaks) that was useing the Sikkens Automotive Clearcoat (a two part urethane) claim that it will last for 10 years, is very tough and abrasion resistant and is saltwater resistant too, and judging by the photo's of the kayak, gives a beautiful mirror like finish.

Hopefully by the time I get this stage, I will have worked out what is going to suit my needs best.

Meanwhile I have a few panels to glue together.

Andrew
Andrew