Wishing for a Rob Roy style canoe

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
topher

Wishing for a Rob Roy style canoe

Post by topher »

'lo there!

As I am wishing I would like to wish to see a plan for a "traditional" Rob Roy style of canoe in the twelve to fourteen foot range with an optional sail mount included in the drawings.

My two cents, you can keep the change.

'topher
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Oh I think you'll see something in a month or 2. :wink:

Friend of mine is prototyping a sailing canoe for me.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Topher,

I tend to agree with you. The more I paddle and tour and camp in a boat, the more I like the decked canoe as a very useful hybrid between canoe & kayak. Matt designed the Zephyrus for my Son, who is now building it. It could be thought of as a stretch version of a Rob Roy.

This basic design, I think, has merit in a variety of lengths to better fit it to various paddling areas. I like the original because, for the Great Lakes area of the Canadian Shield country, this is a good compromise that will carry a lot of gear for extended touring, paddle or sail, camp from or camp in, fish or hunt from, join another boat in tandem as a large catamaran, wander waters from streams up to and including Lake Superior.

THAT'S a lot of boat! A decked canoe offers a lot of options.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Got a progress picture today of the decked sailing canoe that came from a custom design request.

This one will be for "Gentlemen Sailors"...no leaning outside the cockpit. Also meant for a camper because the cockpit is long enough, although partially covered, to sleep in. Full bulkheads on each end of the cokpit for dry storage and reserve bouyancy.

The builder said to mention a clean workbench is a sign of a sick mind.
-Matt. Designer.
topher

Post by topher »

clean work bench, lol, you should see my garage right now. Keep us updated on the design, it looks interesting.

X
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

More pics.

-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

B ig

Post by Kayak Jack »

Matt,

That hull is deep and wide. Sasquatch?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Survey says: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (picture the big red X from Family Fued) :D

This one isn't on the site yet. It's a custom design for Jose Joven (aka Hoz). He told me what he wanted, I put it together the design for him.

Some specs:

Max Beam: 35"
Length: 15'4
10 panels for the hull. Semi-rounded bottom like the Zeph.
Hull-Keeled like the Swamp Girl
Asymetrical

Once Hoz is further along, I'll list the plans for sale. We found a couple of hic ups in the drawings and instructions so I want to be sure there's no more bugs before I cut the lose. We did this one kinda on the fly so I need to tap the brakes and make sure we have a quality product.

Can't have my builders making scrap! :wink:

Now only if I could get Swampy building his boat, I'd have a few nice new designs.
-Matt. Designer.
topher

Post by topher »

ooooo! Pretty hull (never imagined himself ever saying that in his life). But where's the stem? :twisted: It is very nice though, keep us posted and all that jazz!

X
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Hoz is working at warp speed!

-Matt. Designer.