JT's Iroquois

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jt
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

JT's Iroquois

Post by jt »

Off to a slow start!!!

First I needed sawhorses, built these from 2x4s using plans googled from internet. They stack for storage...
Image[/img]

Next it's time to mark and draw out the panels--very kid-friendly part of the build!!!

Also, had a little help cutting panels out...
Jeremy

Live and learn...
jt
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by jt »

Have hit a snag in that I haven't ordered epoxy, yet. Might wait until next paycheck--or charge it and put it off that way...

Can't join the panels, yet, though and that is making me impatient...maybe the Discover balance isn't too high...

In the meantime, I'm thinking about how the panels would look stained. Here's a pic of both sides of the plywood I'm using--Luann from HD, I think, but I went back and forth so many times to Lowe's and HD before borrowing the truck...anyway
and another showing more detail of the "ugly" side--or maybe them knots adds character...

I'm thinking a dark enough stain would mute the appearance of the knots. Any thoughts on which side would look better outside vs. in???
Jeremy

Live and learn...
jt

Post by jt »

Also, while I wait I was thinking about a simple geometric design added to the top panel near the bow (and maybe stern). I was wondering if I could chisel out some simple arrows and diamonds and just flip the wood around to create an inlay in the panel--as Chuck says, it's my boat, I should do it my way...
I was thinking something like this...
Once epoxied back in, the contrast in veneers should look nice. Thoughts???
Jeremy

Live and learn...
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day JT,

Welcome to the dark side mate.

Congrats on getting the littluns involved. Well done!! :D

I like the knots and would be placing them to the outside of the boat. But that is just me.

Re the inlays, I have thought about doing that but I lack the skill and confidence to have a go at it. Well done, they can look fabulous, poorly done, and they can detract from the apearance of the boat a lot.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
TARHEEL

Post by TARHEEL »

Just in case noone else has thought of it, w/ cutting inlays, are you planning on cutting the in-lay from a seperate piece of ply? Also, I purchased Luan from H/D for a previous boat project, and then from Lowe's on my current project and found the quality to be better from H/D.
GuinnesDraught

Post by GuinnesDraught »

just a thought from an absolute amateur...
is it possible to create this sorta graphic effect by staining the required area with a darker stain?
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

possible but I think it would be difficult to retain shar edges on the graphic.

Perhaps a template could be used.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Try a wood burning set, One of these days I am going to try to build a show quality boat and there will be grafics on it using a wood burner
Ron
jt

Post by jt »

I was trying to create a symmetrical design so that the cutouts themselves could just flip and hopefully fit neatly. I was wondering about using the wood burner idea to outline the edge if it didn't look neat/clean enough. I was planning on creating a template and using an exacto knife or similar to cut out the design...Originally the idea was just to have something to accomplish while I wait on ordering epoxy...might not be worth the trouble. At ten bucks a sheet, I'll at least try a panel or two...
Jeremy

Live and learn...
Tor

Post by Tor »

My two bobs worth,

Sand/cut the cutouts so they are 1-2mm smaller than the hole

position the cutouts in the hole (may need paddle pop spacers... :wink:) and fill in the gap with contrasting colour epoxy.

Might try that in the deck of my build.

Tor