Freedom with a stripped top

Builder show and discuss their progress.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Freedom with a stripped top

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

Ok, I finally got some piccies downloaded to Photobucket, so here goes!
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

back to stupid questions again

Ok I'm an idiot. Can't get the copy / paste option to come up when I right click on the direct link below the pictures on photobucket.
Any suggestions??

Lee
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

Maybe this will work?
The lofting, joining, and stitching took about 12 hours(including coffee breaks)
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

I started out using fender washers for spacers. After assembling the next set of panels without spacers,I went back and removed all of them. The panels stitched up just as advertised. My hats off to Matt for making plans where things fit the first time.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

Once things were stitched I comandeered the painter's area for the "dookie schmutz" portion of things.
Last edited by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

I think everyone has seen enough pictures like this to know it's a typical build up to this point.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

Once the hull was glued up I made a strongback from scrap lumber for holding the strips of the deck in place while I was laying them up.
You can see the temporary framework covered by a sheet of visqueen plastic. That was to keep the wood glue from dripping into the hull.
Last edited by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

I used western red cedar, and redwood for the deck. All of the wood was salvaged from an old bench seat from a hotel sauna, and a construction site scrap pile.(free for freedom!!)
Last edited by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

I nailed the strips with wire brads until the glue dried, then pulled them and held my breath.(hoping the thing would hold it's shape)
I took the dimentions from Matt's revised deck and rounded them off to get the form shape. The lines of the finished boat (from looking at it from the side) are pretty much the same as the lines of the revised standard ply deck.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

This is a picture of the "saturation coat". I posted this one to show anyone unfamiliar with epoxy that it will bring out the beauty of the wood without having to stain or pre treat it with anything. (thanks to the southern paddler!)
Last edited by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN on Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.