DK - First build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

DK - First build

Post by Tor »

It started here this is actually not a DK but I'm paddling (first time ever in the front)...
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh28 ... 19402b.jpg
After the paddle came the hard work
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh28 ... adcfad.jpg
And the result
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh28 ... 15b7cd.jpg

next the materials.

Tor
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: DK - First build

Post by dangermouse01 »

Tor wrote:It started here this is actually not a DK but I'm paddling (first time ever in the front)...
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh28 ... 19402b.jpg
After the paddle came the hard work
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh28 ... adcfad.jpg
And the result
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh28 ... 15b7cd.jpg

next the materials.

Tor
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

A properly messy shop! Oh oh - he cleared it up. too bad.

I like those wood cabinets, off to the left by the door. Nice start on a work bench. You will want to be able to stretch it long and narrow too.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Kayak Jack wrote:A properly messy shop! Oh oh - he cleared it up. too bad.
Hey Jack you just have to know where to hide it... see that open door :roll:

That bench was hiding in the corner and as I discovered today yes it does need to be longer. Nearly didn't understand why it needs to be narrower, then I cut the centre floor section and I had bits of flapping pine everywhere :lol:

but we managed.

Had a productive day, bought some epoxy and glass cloth, which I could only get in 1 metre widths (about a yard) but it may be easier to handle and did a bit of cutting

One of the hardest decisions was made today, which side of the ply is the outside? One of the sides has a lot of features the other is quite wavey so I ask the better half who replies "wavey side out" when asked why she replies "because you really want to keep the waves on the outside". I couldn't argue with that.

making the curves
only 6 more panels to cut
Is this enough wood flour? :lol:

Look forward to tomorrow

Tor
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

The bag said .. sawdust and shavings... You better sift it before using it , all you want is the dust or flour part , not the shavings.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Keep the shavings for tinder when starting a campfire.

If you have any excess wood flour, I'll send you a recipe for deer track bread, and you can bake up some. You have to gather up a few cups of deer tracks first, though.
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

I ask the better half who replies "wavey side out" when asked why she replies "because you really want to keep the waves on the outside". I couldn't argue with that.
:lol:
Very funny......It's good to have a witty better half.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
Tor

Post by Tor »

Well the bench got bigger but wider too :lol:
I find one of these much easier than a builders square just need a longer one
remind me next time to avoid panels that are made up of 3 pieces it's just too hard to align.

just about got all the edges resin coated and, due to a small resin spillage, some of the saturation coats for some panels :oops:
The bag said .. sawdust and shavings... You better sift it before using it
That piece of masking tape with the diagonal line is code for "wood flour" the bag is already sifted, but thanks for the reminder.

Well that's it until next weekend when I hope to make it look like a canoe ( I might try to sneak into the shed butt join the panels).

Tor
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

Tor;
If you have a decent hardware store around (or look online), look for a drywall T-square. I have one, they are about 48" long, great for spanning a sheet of plywood.

Your T-square brings back memories of my early drafting schooling, before all the computer stuff made it to easy. Board drawing is a art form.

DM
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

T-squares, isometric drawings, front view, plan view, hidden lines, ..... ahhh yass - Mechanical Drawing Class, 1956
Kayak Jack