Laker 15ft 6 inches asymetrical

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Laker 15ft 6 inches asymetrical

Post by tx river rat »

My new toy

This boat is an awsome preformer.
Ron
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Love it Ron, if ya not winning in the race ya could try ramming a few of the competitors you'll probly cut their boats in half cos that is one sharp looking boat.
You do still make me shudder when you park your boat on rocks though :cry:
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

John
Thats a loose gravel bar not to bad on the bottom butt I am rough on the boats.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Hatches installed

Ron
Merlin
Type of boat I like: Kayaks have Okwata plans

Post by Merlin »

Ron,

Your Laker looks really great. What did you modify to make it asymmetrical? It looks pretty even in the photos. The plans show it to be symmetrical.

Just curious what you did and why. You know, like what are the advantages that you were looking for, and did it seem to work?

Thanks,
Billy
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Billy
This is a custom set of plans Matt drew for me, I have a race next month I wanted to run so got Matt to design the bottom hull and I did the decks and rest of the boat
Asymmetrical is suppose to be faster ,and from my experience with the T-V and the laker 15 5 a it is more stable, and I like the way it looks.
The Cuda AKA 15 5 a is stable, fast , and with the low decks wind just doesnt bother it at all, it is the easiest paddling boat I own. I also built a Laker 13 so I had that to compare to.
The asymetrical hull will take a hour or 2 extra to lay out but to me it is worth it.
Ron
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Ron,

I thought I had allready posted to this thread but must have been having another "poppy" moment, sorry mate. I been getting a few of them lately. :oops:

Mate, I love this boat and especially what you have done to what is allready, a superb kayak. Only someone who regularly paddles in windy conditions apprecieates what a PITA a high sided, high volume kayak or canoe can be in wind.

If I can ever catch up with all of the lovely boats Matt designs that I want to build, I have some ideas about a very low sided ,narrow touring kayak that I would like to build, but so far, he is designing boats that I want to build, faster than I can chuck em together.

His two magnificent new Freedoms are a case in point. Then, there are all these Lakers and a Okwata and so on and on and on :shock:

I need a bigger shed, more machines and LOTS more ply and epoxy AND more time to build em in.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Mick, of all the maladies available to us in the world, you selected one of the best to suffer from. And, you suffer so prolifically. :roll:
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.