scottrunnr's Tandem Fishing SOT

Builder show and discuss their progress.
scottrunnr
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

scottrunnr's Tandem Fishing SOT

Post by scottrunnr »

First entry for Tandem Fishing SOT I'll be building. More entries and, hopefully, pics to follow.
ADHORNE

TANDEM SOT

Post by ADHORNE »

Scottrunnr,
Please post pics I am gonna be building the WadeFish 15 as soon as Iget the plans.... what ? Yes dear,.........ok as soon as I get the plans and do my honey do list. but was wondering about the tandem sot as, I my boys would like to go fishing with me.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Good Luck Guys! :D :D :D

Will be starting a thread on a hairy Wadefish myself soon (hopefully) That Honey Do thing keeps getting in the way for me too :D :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Scott, you really need to eat something. You're skin and bones and looking kinda wirey.

-Matt. Designer.
scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

Thanks for getting the photos out there Matt! Matt has designed a tandem SOT fishing kayak for me. It had to be quite large in order to get the 600lb capacity to hold either my large fishing buddy (note much larger wire guy in front so I can paddle his lazy butt) and myself or go out with my two teen/pre-teen kids for fishing. It also had to be able to handle surf/swells/chop of Cape Cod.

Below you'll find some of Matt's design drawings. Above you'll find my attempt to build a scale model to get a feel for how all the parts go together when building the real thing (let's hope I'm better at that :wink: ). I added the "wire paddlers" to give a sense of scale. It'll be 17' long and 34" at widest beam point. The cockpit is open and 10' long. That should allow 2' between the two paddlers for an fish/ice box that can also serve as a seat for the smaller of my two kids. Flush mounted rod holders will be placed strategically for both padders.

I ordered the plywood/glass/epoxy as a kit from JEM. It should arrive any day now so that I can started building. I'm both excited and terrified as this is my first build. Matt has been absolutely fantastic! I'll post pictures and comments as I get going.

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Scott,

You may experience difficulty achieving or maintaining level trim with two partners of such disparate size. I can loan you a buddy of mine for ballast. He's smarter than a sandbag, but not so much smarter as to cause much trouble.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Putting you cooler in the very front would help balance things out.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Matt,

Then the beer would be next to his buddy and not him. Any other ideas?
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Make his buddy sit in the back!
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Matt, you ain't quite ready for geezerdom yet. You had to be coached to come to that conclusion. Close, but no seegar. Dorazio or Littleton would have known that instinctively. Even Swampus Couragus would have gotten it after a few minutes of cogitating. Br'r Bear would not get it; he would be investigating the liability issues. Bear's Buddy would have jumped on it, probably tipping over his canoe in the process.

We're gonna have to extend your training period another 6 weeks and recheck later.
Kayak Jack