In The Doghouse On Cold Days

Worth mentioning but don't fit in other categories.
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

In The Doghouse On Cold Days

Post by preacher »

1 week ago.
When it's freezing and I can't go fishing I restock my lures, weights, etc.
"Do It" molds are the bomb.
Spinner baits, buzz baits, jigs, (and my secret Red Fish weapon) and lead sinkers of all kinds.
Drawers full of beads, swivels, hooks, skirts, blades and wiggits:) Plenty of lead ingots and stainless wire.
Best Dog House on the block.

Sunday Jan 23rd
Well, waiting for epoxy to cure . . . again. So I'm playing with these some more.
1/4 oz Safety Pin Spinner w/colorado blade.

My extended in-line spinner w/willow leaf blade and skirt. Notice the red piping. That comes from my WD40 cans.

And my Redfish Killer an extended in-line spinner w/buzz bait prop and add your own soft bait trailer. Last trip I killed them with a red Crawfish trailer.
I'm hamstrung right now because I'm waiting on an internet order of blades, hooks, skirts and other stuff to replenish my supply. I have such a bad habit of giving away my lures that my supply is running low :D

I may have the Cape Fear on the water tomorrow and field test some of these lures . . . again, or . . . somemore. :mrgreen:
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: In The Doghouse On Cold Days

Post by craiggamesh »

Where do you get your supply of lead? I am thinking of making my own heavy sinkers.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
preacher

Post by preacher »

craiggamesh wrote:Where do you get your supply of lead? I am thinking of making my own heavy sinkers.
Tire weights from the local tire shop. The tire weights work good for large weights. I made my own mold out of 2 -1X6s by bolting them together and drilling the edge joint 1" wide and however deep it took to get the weight I wanted. !" Deep is about 4^5 oz.

I I also picked up some old plumbers lead from a friend but you can get it from most plumbers real cheap. You need plumbers soft lead to pour lures.
rhutchinson
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and Canoes.

Post by rhutchinson »

A note about wheel weights. There is a big push to go to non-lead wheel weights. They won't be available forever so get what you can while you can. They store well, I've got 3 five gallon buckets behind the barn and will get more as I can.

Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

what are the round ones on the right with the wires sticking out? Is that for grabbing the bottom more?
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
preacher

Post by preacher »

craiggamesh wrote:what are the round ones on the right with the wires sticking out? Is that for grabbing the bottom more?
Yes, they're sand weights for surf fishing. Just pull the wires out to about 45 degrees and they dig in.
surfman

Post by surfman »

Preacher, you said you made your own molds out of wood?? Please elaborate on that I want to make my own molds but, wood? Can you post a how to, the molds I see hanging on the wall don't look home made.
Tight Lines, Steve
preacher

Post by preacher »

surfman wrote:Preacher, you said you made your own molds out of wood?? Please elaborate on that I want to make my own molds but, wood? Can you post a how to, the molds I see hanging on the wall don't look home made.
Glad to do that, I will post some pictures later.

I took two 1"X5" treated deck boards about 1 foot long and bolted them together. Then I took a 1" wood bit and drilled 4 holes centered on the joint of the 2 boards (long edge) at 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1" depths. I sanded the holes to smooth them a little and then I bent up some 10 ga wire to form the legs and tie on point and shoved them into the holes tightly. Poured in the lead and pulled them out with pliars. If one sticks I just loosen the bolts to extract. Pictures will help.

Yes the lead does scourch the wood some but it only seems to smooth the hole better. I've poured up probably 100 weights with the board mold.
surfman

Post by surfman »

Wow, okay, I would have thought that the wood would catch fire. I guess that is okay for the type of mold you are making but i would like to make other stuff too like jig molds and such. I can buy the molds but they are pricy.
Tight Lines, Steve