Sasquatch(littlefoot)

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
shaje
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by shaje »

Kayak Jack wrote:Shaje,

First off, WHERE did that name come from? A typo?

:
SHAJE was a name i picked for another forum (SOTP) when I got back into canoeing just under a year ago. I was wanting it to be a family activity so I picked the first letters fom all our names to make SHAJE

Steve (me)
Heather (me wife)
Adam
Jason
Emma

The rest of the family arn't quite as keen on canoeing as me but enjoy it when they come out, in fact Adam and Emma have been out for a short trip with me this afternoon.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Josh
Emily
Mom

W
a
t
e
r
c
r
a
f
t
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Steve,

Be prepared for what I call the "WOW" factor :D

What-ever boat you decide to build, Expect lots of questions every time you put in. There is just something about a wooden canoe that draws people like bees to honey. :D Even the worst and ugliest of my builds have had this effect.

However as most of my canoeing is done solo I want the second boat to be lighter and faster than my existing one
A Wood boat will be all this and much more :D expect something approaching about 1/2 the weight of your plastic boat. :D and way prettier. I can tell you which one the kids and missus will want to be paddling. :lol:

Again mate, welcome to the dark side. 8) Another boat you might also like to consider as a starter is a Merrimac. Very, very nice, functional and elegant
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Tor

Post by Tor »

Beggar, you go away for a few days and a quiet little topic becomes all noisy and ya miss the fun.

First 30" sounds fine as a tippy paddler I'd be happy with the extra stability, I can safely teach the kids to paddle and then we can get silly with speed later.

I agree with Matt it's the playing with resin where the steepest learning curve is and I'd build the smallest boat you can, build in as many frames and bulkheads and fully glass the inside with 6oz cloth, build a slotted gunwhale and use various thicknesses of wood and deck the thing (with a fancy stripped deck).

All of the above seems like a big job, but if you build and read this forum you will do all of this and strive to do each stage better than the last. It's infectious.

I say build a small boat first, because of the material that you can "waste" on you first build. I've just about finished the DK touring canoe. The bill of materials suggests 2.2 gallons of resin (the most expensive material) that's about 7 litres in our language and I'm out at about 10 litres, if your build is small your waste can be small but you still get to learn all the techniques.

Whatever you pick have fun and let us know how it's going.

Tor

Post by Guest »

Matt, I just found this site the other day. I have been trying to find plans for a good solo touring boat for a while now, you seem to be the only one who has any with a narrow enough beam to be paddled easily from the center seat and still have a decent load capacity. I was thinking of the 14' Issaqah, but if a 14' Sasquatch is in the near future, I will hold off until its available. I like Kayak Jack's wish list, but with the removable nylon decks. For what its worth, Cliff Jacobson recommends a max beam of 30" at the gunnels for a solo touring canoe (from his book Canoeing and camping, beyond the basics). Any idea on what kind of weight capacity this boat would have?

Jim
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Max beam will be 30". At the gunwales will be about 27". Ideal payload is going to be in the 160-425 range.

I'm a little surprised the Issaquah 14 or 17 hasn't been a more popular boat.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Max beam will be 30". At the gunwales will be about 26".

Ideal payload is going to be in the 160-425 range
Sweeeeeet 8)

How much rocker we looking at here? :D

Welcome aboard Jim!! 8)
Regards,
Mick

jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

1.5".

It looks like more at the ends but it's just the way the panels sweep the last 6-10" of the boat. It has the same somewhat sharp entry so it should track pretty good but still be able to navigate tight turns.
-Matt. Designer.

Post by Guest »

Your making it hard to choose between the two. Any estimate on when the 14' sasquatch plans will be available? HairyMick's Sasquatch is a beauty, but the Issy looks pretty good as well. From what I've found on other sites (or rather the lack of what I've found) I would also have thought the Issy to be a popular build as well. BTW, do you have the beam at the gunwhale dimension for the 14' Issaquah?
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

1.5".
8)
It looks like more at the ends but it's just the way the panels sweep the last 6-10" of the boat. It has the same somewhat sharp entry so it should track pretty good but still be able to navigate tight turns.
8) 8) :D

Jim,

My Sasquatch is a symmetrical hull meaning that the front half is identical to the back half. This makes for an easier build with less marking out for little, if any loss in boat performance.

Issequah is an assymetrical hull - Swede form. I have been in love with it for some time now and been meaning to build one, but I think a 14' Sasquatch, if it has a symmetrical hull like her big sisters will be an easier build, probably quicker through the water and have more elegant lines. :D
Regards,
Mick