hiawatha type canoe wish

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
shawnkfl
Type of boat I like: Canoes and Kayaks

Re: hiawatha type canoe wish

Post by shawnkfl »

i'll have a spare sheet for the next project then. i want to build the sabolo too, but that one has to wait for now. that will be just for me when i build it and i'm thinking about stripping the top with redwood. the canoe is for me and my daughter to build and go on camping trips with. i won't let her around the epoxy part, but she'll have a blast helping plan it out and stitch it up. i want to get it built and used before this florida heat gets too unbearable to camp and the gators get too active.
shawnkfl

Post by shawnkfl »

still watching, with eager anticipation!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

couple issue that didn't work.

This was only a rough sketch. Not much development done. I'll keep trying to get it worked out but it's not an instant process.
-Matt. Designer.
shawnkfl

Post by shawnkfl »

this one is a bit different, i can tell from my models. it's too complex for my software to unfold. i'm sure it will be sweet once you get it worked out though.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I think I got it. The top panel will bend together with no issue.

The bottom panel, actually the second from the bottom, is a little trickier. There might be a small gap, like 1/2" at one point where it all joins together but that can be filled it with a small triangle patch of wood and fiberglass. Nothing bigger than dime.

That's the beauty of designs like this: There are not about sticking to any sort of "tradition" a way of building. We can accept that it's not "the we did it for generations" and don't get hung up on foolish pride and have the "traditional" builder turn up their noses in disgust.

Modern method, old method, old material, new technology... is doesn't matter. The only method we worry about is what works, looks good, can be done by an amateur, and enjoy doing it.

Maybe that's why the so-called "traditional builders" get their panties in a wad over our methods: If folks can build a great looking boat themselves, it takes money out of the "traditional builders'" pockets.
-Matt. Designer.
shawnkfl

Post by shawnkfl »

i've done some cedar strip canoes, so even if a gap does present itself, i can fill it in with a strip easily enough and make it look decent. it may even lend itself to an area to cut out a larger hole and stitch in a better fitting "patch, if you will. essentially, stitching in a secondary panel to take the shape better and fill in gaps. i'll build it when you release the plans, that's for sure. i've been waiting for a ply design like this for some time. i could strip it, but i don't have the time right now. i could just buy a plastic one too, but that's too easy. my compromise is a ply, hiawatha looking one. the perfect solution for me. she'll look great paddling around these florida waterways!
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Having some issues still. I think I have it worked out.
-Matt. Designer.
shawnkfl

Post by shawnkfl »

looking at the sasquatch today, i was wondering if the top panels could just be modified to have the recurve in them? maybe from about two feet back, start the upward sweep and leave everything else as is on the sasquatch? in my mind, it looks simple enough to do (or try) and i almost ordered the plans for that canoe this afternoon. after all of the surfing i've done, i have made up my mind on one thing. i am going to buy my plans here and document the process as much as i possibly can.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I got it worked just now.

I'll start on the drawings.
-Matt. Designer.
shawnkfl

Post by shawnkfl »

SWEET! i can't wait. i feel like a kid before christmas! i've been after a ply canoe in this style for a long time now. you did it in a weeks time and i'm sure you've had many other things in the fire as well. thank you for the fast turn on this one. i'm sure you were already working on this design, but it still feels like personal service to me. simply awesome!