Recreational tourer.

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Recreational tourer.

Post by rodot »

I have long been considering what I would most desire in my next build. What I am seeking is a kayak that is designed for simple efficient paddling pleasure on trips of up to around 10 to 15 miles. Something designed for a person of up to 200lb, carrying perhaps just a water bottle and a snack. I also want a boat that is easy to handle into and out of the water so I would like it kept to a manageable length of around 14 to 15 feet. Since this boat would be mainly just for cruising and enjoyable exercise, stability would not need to be to as critical as in other craft.
Basically I would like a design similar in appearance to the Okwata, a rakish bow and perhaps a tad lower in the waist but with a more rounded multi chined hull with perhaps two or three chines. I suppose anything is possible, but is this feasible Matt.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Recreational tourer.

Post by jem »

It's possible. I have an old rough sketch of one like you speak. But looking at it, it looks a little .... "clunky". When you looking to build?

lol.... every time I try to think of a description of a ugly rough draft I drew, I'm always drawn back to when our Hairy Mick was having a grumpy day and he said the pirogue I drew for him looked to be a "slab sided pig". :lol:

After that comment, he must have popped open a Fosters and cooled down because he finished building it anyway and then declared it was beautiful in its simplicity. :lol:

That makes me laugh to this day. :D
-Matt. Designer.
rodot

Post by rodot »

At the moment alas I am very much at the tyre kicking stage. If I jump straight into another build my other half will probably attack me with a big stick. :cry: I am sure that after a few "honey doos" I'll be right however :wink: .
I'll send you a PM

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Post by Mick »

jem wrote:It's possible. I have an old rough sketch of one like you speak. But looking at it, it looks a little .... "clunky". When you looking to build?

lol.... every time I try to think of a description of a ugly rough draft I drew, I'm always drawn back to when our Hairy Mick was having a grumpy day and he said the pirogue I drew for him looked to be a "slab sided pig". :lol:
After that comment, he must have popped open a Fosters and cooled down because he finished building it anyway and then declared it was beautiful in its simplicity. :lol:

That makes me laugh to this day. :D
Mutter, Mutter, Doesn't this bugger EVER forget? :mrgreen:

Roger/Matt,

Have a look here http://www.natureline.com.au/

Specifically at the Wanderer model. These are a superb kayak design, lite, fast, very fast and a delight to paddle.

I have been thinking about asking Matt to draw something like one up for some time. I have a modified version of the original,

and it is the only factory boat that I own that I just could not bare to part with.
rodot

Post by rodot »

I think your onto what I am after Mick, and that is a boat that would be just nice to paddle.

Every evening I go for a walk along the coast for about five to ten kilometres just for the exercise and enjoyment. Several times a week I go for a paddle for just the same reason. When I go for a walk I dont take a fishing rod or a cooler and neither do I when I go for a paddle for the sake of a paddle. I know it's a tough life but....

Of the Jem boats, the ones that would come closest to my needs is the 15x24 Okwata or perhaps Rons Ugly Duckling but a boat such as you have shown, seems to fill the void in my fleet admirally.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico