Quick Duck Hunt

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Quick Duck Hunt

Post by Darrells »

I have not Duck hunted in several years now. I decided yesterday that I would hit a stock tank down the road from my house and just see what was around. I guess with alot of the tanks being dry from the drought it really has the birds concentrated anywhere there is some water. It took all of thirty minutes to kill a limit and that was passing a bunch of birds trying to make it last a little longer. i think I am hooked again and can't wait for the second season. I am going to hit the Brazos pretty hard come December 10th.

Darrell Sykora
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: Quick Duck Hunt

Post by Oldsparkey »

Pluck them , don't skin them.
Before you put them in the oven soak them in a mild salt water mix for a short time. Then put a piece of apple in the cavity when you bake them , that will make the duck sweeter and remove a little of the wild taste but not all of it , after all you are eating wild duck.

I have had them without the apple slice in them and then with a piece of apple in them , it does add a lot to the taste. The part I enjoyed was the skin , it is darn good especially if you rub some Sage on it and baste them with some butter as they cook.
Then when they are done you can make some really good gravy to go over the potatoes , rice or dressing.

My guess is that Mom would add some of the apple slices to them when we had apples to do that with since we had most of them without the apple slices. :wink: Also she would throw the apple slices away we never ate them.

Darn , you are making me hungry for wild duck and bringing back some good memories. :D
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
MoSportsman
Type of boat I like: touring pirogue TV 32.

Post by MoSportsman »

Let me try to test my duck ID skills.

2 Widgen
2 Gadwal
2 Blue bills (scaulp)

How'd I do?

Tom
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Darrells »

2 widgeon, 1 canvasback, 1 I'm not sure and 2 bluebills
Darrell Sykora
MoSportsman
Type of boat I like: touring pirogue TV 32.

Post by MoSportsman »

Well I think I am right about the one gadwal. The Can threw me off, don't get many of those up this far on the midwest flyway.

5 out of 6 aint bad.
Tom