laker 14

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
cridgie down under

laker 14

Post by cridgie down under »

hi am a fairly new member to jem, and am enjoying the various posts .
i have been thinking of building my own kayak for some time now , and although i have been waiting for the release of bluefin 12 i am starting to lean towards a laker 14 .in order of preference i am a fisherman /paddler
not a paddler/fisherman.i have built timber boats before i.e heron gaff rigged sail boat and an arafura cataraman, quite a number of years ago.
i think the laker might be a simpler "start boat" to sharpen up on my
skills.
"am i right ?"
I am a member of the pirate club in coffs harbour which is a club virtually dedicated to building in wood called plywood pirates,great bunch of fair dinkum aussies so i am sure i will get plenty of support from them.i like the look of hairymicks set up for fishing and if i can end up with a finished product like that i will be stoked. kind regards
cridgie down under
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Ray,

Thanks for the very kind words mate.

Matt is away at the moment but I think ANY Laker would be a very good starter point. They are super boats and my laker gets wet more often than probably all my other boats combined. (Sasquatch come close but is a very different boat)

At the end of your build, you will have a great boat and at the same time, learnt a lot about Matt's build methodoligy. (this is a very good thing is you are planning something way more ambitious like a SOT.)

I am sure the Coffs crew will be a very big help for you and I have heard there are some talented wood workers in that area. :D Please feel welcome to post ideas and questions here too. We are all keen to seen the success of your builds. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Laker would be a nice starter boat.

I wouldn't recommend anyone take on a SOT as a first build.
-Matt. Designer.
CapricornCoast
Type of boat I like: Laker 13

Re: laker 14

Post by CapricornCoast »

So how is the Laker coming along??????
Living in The 70s Image[/URL]
/img]color]