First outing for 2011

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

First outing for 2011

Post by OnkaBob »

Had a pleasant couple of hours Lakering on the Onkaparinga this morning. This was well overdue as there was a noticeable layer of dust over the entire deck until I washed it down with river water while drifting.

Launched in Old Noarlunga and mostly just drifted with the breeze down to Perry's bend while trailing a soft plastic lure. The only others I saw fishing were this heron, an ibis and some shags.

Thought I had a few bites on the way but they could easily have been bumps from the plastic hitting submerged logs or stones. Started thinking about getting out on the sea to catch more and kind of drifted off into a daydream. Next thing I know there's a knock at the door and this little bream jumps aboard:

Undersize but fiesty and took off like a rocket when released.

Perry's bend is a popular picnic and fishing spot but was quiet this morning as most people would have been still home nursing their hangovers. :roll:

The paddle back was into the wind (somehow the wind always blows downstream from Old Noarlunga) and I trolled a small hardbody all the way. It's not a long way and I wasn't in a hurry but it was a good bit of exercise for someone who is out of condition (ie me).

Had a quick chat to a couple who arrived with their plastic SOTs just as I was leaving and as usual they were impressed by the Laker.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: First outing for 2011

Post by craiggamesh »

Nice report. I'm jealous of you Southern Hemisphere folk. I have had a lot of time off from work lately due to the holidays, but it has only been in the low 30's F here. I may put on the dry suit and brave it today or tomorrow. I picked up my new fishing license last night. I just have to get up the courage.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Thanks Craig, I don't envy those temperatures at all but I am a bit jealous of the water you guys have. South Australia is often billed by our state leaders as "the driest state in the driest continent" when they are trying to encourage us to save water. We really have only 1 major river (the Murray) and even that was drying up almost a year ago after a savage period of drought. Now it's flooding of course :roll: - you just can't win can you?

The Onkaparinga is really only a creek compared to most rivers but at least it's too small to have power boats to contend with. The eastern coast is really the best part of the country for paddlers.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

As long as a person has someplace to paddle and catch fish, that's all that matters. :)
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.