Laker Trimaran

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
60buckscash
Type of boat I like: Laker and Fleet

Laker Trimaran

Post by 60buckscash »

I have ben lurking for a while and soaking up some good info. I plan on building 2 of the Lakers for my wife and I. These will be used in protected shallow salt waters.

I have always ben a tinkerer and like to have multi purposed things in life. I was looking around the internet and have found some sailing trimaran/kayaks. This would have a smaller rig on it to help me get around quicker and extend my range some.

Some people have used stringers up the vertical wall of their kayaks to mount the arms to (creating a U on each side through bolting the cross member) and others it looks like they have attached to the bulkheads in the center of the boat (bolts running up through the deck). What would be the better option?

For the mast, I am thinking of a small balanced lug rig that could be struck down and bungied to the cross members when not in use. What additional reinforcement would be necessary to support a small mast?

Maybe I am crazy and will end up with a poor handling boat or one in pieces.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Laker Trimaran

Post by OnkaBob »

Well if you are crazy then at least you have company :lol:

I have been trying to figure out how to do that with my Laker over the last few months. My problem is that I want everything removable except for some bolt on points. This way I will still have a nice boat for paddling when not sailing.

I plan on using an old fishing rod for a mast. Sail will initially be cheap poly tarp - can make a better one once the bugs are out of the design. The real issue is how to mount the mast without stays in a way that does not impinge too much on the hull structure.

Have experimented with SOF outriggers but they really don't go with a Laker - need to do some in S&G. Mounting them has the same issues as for the mast - they need to be secure without affecting the hull and also need to be positioned such that the paddle can still be used. I don't think they need to be very large - more important is to design them so they act as centreboards to help convert the sail generated lift into forward motion.

I believe the Laker will make a great basis for a sailing trimaran. Hopefully we can exchange ideas and progress reports in this thread and with any luck some others will join in too.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Post by makenmend »

I used this hull as my start piont, I now have a laker but didn't when I started,but this rig is adapable to other hulls.
[img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

The only additions permanent to the hull are stronger inwales/gunnel and the lower mast step, so I can use this hull stand alone.

All the rest simply clamps onto the gunnels,the mast is free standing so your idea for the lugsail is good. I'm kind of old fasioned and like gaff rigs so that's my rig for now.[img]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]
60buckscash

Post by 60buckscash »

This is my thought for the bracket. One would go on each side of the bulkheads fore and aft of the cockpit. Could the support block just be glued in if the piece going through the deck would be bolted/screwed together. I figure it would need to have more space inbetween them for the arm.
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

Bob,
You can also make sails out of Tyvek. Probably would be a little quiter than polytarp. If I were to put a sail on a boat, it would definately be a balanced lug. No stays. When you get to where you are going popthe mast out and the whole thing is short enough to store inside the boat.
Bob
60buckscash

Post by 60buckscash »

Is there a rough size I should be looking for as far as mast, spar, and sail size? Otherwise, I would be completely winging it and would be starting larger to cut it down.

I could cut a sail out of a 8x10, 9x12, or 12x16 tarp. 12.5' x 9' x 14' x 8' ish sail puts me just over 110', or will I take off flying and should go with a 8.5' x 6' x 10' x 6' for just under 60'?

I would also like to use a slimmer and deeper running pontoon design instead of adding a lee board.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

60buckscash wrote:I would also like to use a slimmer and deeper running pontoon design instead of adding a lee board.
This design for pontoons is easy to build and they perform as both pontoons and leeboards. Mine are 4' long but can be made to any size. Mine are easy to transport inside my vehicle and displace 22 litres so they provide good stability. (Try submerging a 20 litre drum). I have never had a knock down with my rig, which is a 35 sq.ft. leg-o-mutton sprit sail (not as pictured).

My yak is a Sabalo, which is ideal as either a fishing rig or in trimaran format, a great sailing rig. A laker would be an excellent basis for a tri also I'm sure.

My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!