14ft Motor Dinghy - Builders?

Forum for www.boatplans.dk. Guests welcome to post!
PTN
Type of boat I like: Fishing boats

14ft Motor Dinghy - Builders?

Post by PTN »

Is anyone building or has built this boat? I've just downloaded the plans and would be interested to hear of any experiences of other builders. Intended use is fishing on rivers, lakes and protected bays using a 25hp outboard.

I've built one of Morten's boats before - A 13ft Combi Canoe, which went together very well, paddles brilliantly although I think I am a bit too heavy for it. I've also built a 10 1/2 ft skiff.
PTN

Re: 14ft Motor Dinghy - Builders?

Post by PTN »

OK! On my own then!

Current planning is to build the 14ft Motor Dinghy with some small changes to the internal layout customised for fishing, fit a Suzuki DF30R outboard, and put the lot on a lightweight gal steel boat trailer. Aims are to build a useful fishing platform also capable of family cruising, which is very light weight to reduce fuel consumption and make towing easier. Most boats in Australia do far more road miles than water miles!

The Suzuki DF30R weighs about 65kg with electric start and forward controls, and costs only a little more than a Chinese outboard, so is my first choice. I have a Suzuki 2.5 4-stroke which has run like a watch for the last two years.

The hull will be made from AS2272 hoop pine marine ply while the non-structural panels will be BS1088 mahogany ply. This provides a good balance of material performance versus cost. All surfaces will be coated with epoxy before painting with Norglass marine paints. I think some nicely polished timber features to accent the paintwork would look very good.

I intend to add foam flotation in the empty cavities under the floor, and provide electric bilge draining. Steering by teleflex cable which I may run through a duct under the floor to keep the cables out of the way.

It's possible to buy a ready-made boat that has all these features (for a considerably higher cost!) but I like the sense of achievement you get from building it yourself.
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

Good luck with the build, PTN
You're right....there's nothing like building ya' own :D
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Where abouts in OZ are you?
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
PTN

Post by PTN »

Hi John,

I'm in sunny Mt Martha. Been paddling my 13ft Combi Canoe around Cannons Creek and Warneet.

Cheers

Paul
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

Aahh....Mt Martha. That's a lovely spot.
I'm a little further up the bay at Cheltenham.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
cridgie down under

Post by cridgie down under »

Mt martha and cheltenham , what magnificent locations I had a holiday house for some years at rosebud , now living in sawtell near coffs harbour
Tell me fella's where are you getting your ply from,we cannot get any decent ply up
here
regards Ray
PTN

Post by PTN »

Hi Ray,

Been buying my BS1088 ply from 'Australian Wood Panels' here in Melb. Material quality is very good and prices are reasonable. Service from them is always helpful. I think there is a branch in Sydney if that helps.

http://www.awpanels.com.au/home.htm
PTN

Post by PTN »

OK - Have purchased a Suzuki 30 hp 2 Stroke twin. Local dealer offered it at less than the price of an equivalent Chinese motor, couldn't resist... Trailer might be next, then the big bits are out of the way.

That makes me now committed to the project! Sussing out plywood suppliers at the moment.

Does any one have opinions of AS2722 Hoop Pine versus lightweight Gaboon BS1088?
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Hi PTN

I am building 2 Wadefish side by side. One out of Hoop Pine & the other out of Gabbon

The Hoop pine is slightly thicker & also denser so it weighs more.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3190&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=56

Is a post of the weight of 2 pieces the same size.
PTN

Post by PTN »

Thanks PiratePete.

Weight is not a major issue with me with this design, since it's a trailer boat I can get away with a 20% difference. Might lose some top end speed and be a little slower on to plane, but everything in life is a trade-off. You would expect the higher density material to be stiffer and stronger but it's hard to get mechanical properties from wood suppliers.

Those wadefish look good. Glassing the outside looks daunting as a process but great when finished.

Heading over to Tassie in March for two weeks (honeymoon...!) with our camper van, will go down the east coast and back up the centre past the lakes. Bringing my fly rod which I haven't used in 20 years! :mrgreen: