Wadefish 15-32, 3mm vs 4mm ply

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
G8trwood
Type of boat I like: the sit on top kayak

Wadefish 15-32, 3mm vs 4mm ply

Post by G8trwood »

I just ordered the wadefish plans and was wondering what the thoughts are on 3mm vs 4mm ply. I can get either in okoume the next town over. Looking for a light build for saltwater creeks. I have never worked with 3mm so I didn't know it it is more difficult to get fair lines as the stiffness decreases or if the stitching of the multiple pannles corrects this.

Thanks
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: Wadefish 15-32, 3mm vs 4mm ply

Post by Oldsparkey »

I haven't made a Wadefish so Matt would be the correct person to answer your question about which thickness is the best. :D

I made my boats from 1/8th inch plywood and they worked great for me.
I epoxy saturate the wood before glassing it and glassed the boats inside and outside.

The thinner wood requires a little more patience when working with it but you do end up with a light weight boat. You also need to be a little more considerate of the boat when using it , it requires more prevention then a thicker one and does not need to be abused.

I also added some protection to the bottom from the water line down with three coats of the graphite , epoxy mix on several of the boats . On my canoe , kayak and one pirogue I used three coats of a Epoxy , Teflon paint. Private message Me for the company if you are interested later on but i will warm you .... it is expensive.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

G8trwood wrote:I just ordered the wadefish plans and was wondering what the thoughts are on 3mm vs 4mm ply. I can get either in okoume the next town over. Looking for a light build for saltwater creeks. I have never worked with 3mm so I didn't know it it is more difficult to get fair lines as the stiffness decreases or if the stitching of the multiple pannles corrects this.

Thanks
3mm can be tough to work with. Takes extra stitches, time and patience. You might need to add some bracing on the under-floor supports.
-Matt. Designer.
G8trwood

Post by G8trwood »

Thanks Matt, I am trying to balance that with draft and dragging through mud. Where I fish is usually shallow oysters and muck, rarely sand. Graphite on the bottom will be a must. If I could save 10 or so lbs it could be worth it, 5 not so much
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I built one boat from 1/8 ply
Never again.
Ron
G8trwood

Post by G8trwood »

Thanks guys, thinking 4mm now to keep what hair I have left!