Plastic chaulk tubes

Post your own building tips and "how to" ideas here.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Plastic chaulk tubes

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

I noticed that epoxy doesn't really "stick" to plastic. that gave me an idea for recycling all those plastic chaulk tubes I've been throwing away.(I'm painting my house)
Anyway, I cut the neck of the spout to 1/4 inch allowing me to stick a two foot piece of 1/4" metal rod in. I simply pushed the little plastic plunger out the back of the tube.
After a short hot water rinse I had a perfect dispenser for filling with"dookie schmutz" and do my tacking and fillets.
I've cleaned out several of these tubes so as one gets used, I set it aside until the epoxy sets. (I then repeat the clean-out process)
In the mean time I still have a tube or two to use for continuing the work.
I know a ziplock bag is pretty easy too, but I like the precision control of my chaulk gun to apply the "dookie".

Lee
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Great tip!

I've heard of some builders buying the empty tubes to apply the goop.
-Matt. Designer.
fransjoe
Type of boat I like: SOT Fishing Kayaks

Re: Plastic chaulk tubes

Post by fransjoe »

I checked out West Marine the other day and they actually sell the tubes for epoxy now, definitely a bit of a mess saver as well as giving you precision when applying either a Tack Weld, or filleting.
A rough day on the water beats any day at work
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

I ordered and use some of these from US Composites. I found some difficulties in loading the tubes and burping the air out that is trapped between the fillet material and the push thingy (hope thats not too technical). I'm thinking about drilling a small hole in the side of the tube at the top level of the fillet material to let the trapped air escape, more to come on that. I also cut the length of my tubes in half. I clean the tubes up with vinegar and reuse them with no trouble and they do lay down a very neat fillet. But, you need to practice your first works in areas that will be under decks or inside SOT layers.

Be quick to immediately release any pressure (whether hand pushing or using a gun) after laying your fillet because residual pressure "keeps on pushing" when you don't want it. Also have a paper towel in your off hand to catch the drips when that happens.

I built a "loading platform" by drilling a hole in a piece of 2"X4" and standing the caulk tube nozzel first up right in the hole.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

As you fill it tap the nozzle to settle the fillet material inside the tube.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
pogue3one
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by pogue3one »

Found this icing syringe on ebay for $2.00
Wadefish (complete)
firestang
Type of boat I like: wadefish

Post by firestang »

this is what ive been using for tacking