Saltwater Sabalo Fishing Adventure

Share your photos of outing with your boat!
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Saltwater Sabalo Fishing Adventure

Post by craiggamesh »

I finally got out on the salt water this year. It is the first time the Sabalo has been out on the open ocean. Me likey! :D I was launching out of the harbor at Depoe Bay, Oregon which is a fantastic kayak launch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USACE ... Oregon.jpg
There is no surf where the harbor meets the open ocean. That makes for an easy launch. Here Is a shot of the harbor from the parking lot above the boat launch.
Me in the Sabalo making sure my camera is ready to go.

A shot of the Sabalo popping over a wave

She rides real nice in the swells. The swells were only 4-6 feet so it was a very nice day to test her out.
Here are a couple of the black rock fish I caught.
This one won me a hand turned fish bonker for being the largest one caught from a kayak off the coast of Oregon that day. That's why the Hawg trough for measuring is lying across my lap in the photo above.
I got four black rock fish for the day, but here was my prize catch. A 24 1/2 inch ling cod. Not the largest one ever caught by any means, but legal sized and delicious. One of the other guys caught a 28 incher.

Here is a couple shots of the other guys out with me

We had a great day with beautiful weather to start with. However, by 11:30 am it was blowing pretty hard so the other 'paddler' and I headed back in. We were drifting too fast over the reef for the fishing to be productive. The two guys pedaling in the Hobies stayed out a bit longer since they were able to pedal into the wind to slow their drifts. Of course you know what that means, I will have to put a mirage drive in this winter. :twisted:
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
David Kopera
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Saltwater Sabalo Fishing Adventure

Post by David Kopera »

Boat looks great!!! Nice fish for a leisurely morning off the coast with friends. It looks like you guys have everything rigged just right for some good fishing fun and adventure.
craiggamesh

Re: Saltwater Sabalo Fishing Adventure

Post by craiggamesh »

David Kopera wrote:Boat looks great!!! Nice fish for a leisurely morning off the coast with friends. It looks like you guys have everything rigged just right for some good fishing fun and adventure.
Thanks. The best part about it is that on another kayak fishing forum, one of the guys is a chef and posted a recipe for rock fish curry. My wife loves curry and really liked the end result.
I think that means she wants me to catch more fish :lol:
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.