Stretching a canoe

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
NWDad
Type of boat I like: DK Touring Canoe

Stretching a canoe

Post by NWDad »

I have the plans for the DK Touring Canoe. I have read posts. Where people have shorten this design but has anyone made t say 20 ffteet long? The reason is that I want to be able to take the wife and daughter at times as well as 2 of us fishing. Thank you

Kevin
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Re: Stretching a canoe

Post by Mick »

G'day NWdad and welcome aboard.

The canoe you mention is a very big boat as it is. May I ask is this your first build? If so, I would recommend you build her as she is. I think it would be possible to extend this boat but I am no designer. Perhaps a message to Morten, the designer might be in order.

Whatever you decide to do, take your time, measure twice and cut once and most of all, enjoy the build.
NWDad

Post by NWDad »

Thanks for the welcome Mick. I have been reading all your builder posts. You do great work. My main concern is that if all three of us are aboard that will be about 600lbs with out anything else. Other than that i really like this one. It is not my 1st build but it will be for the rest of the family. I hope to include them in the build process also.

Kevin
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Trapper 18 would take 600 and some gear easily.

But maybe you should consider a couple shorter boats.
-Matt. Designer.
NWDad

Post by NWDad »

Thanks, Matt. I know I can build the DK Touring Canoe. The Trapper might be to much for the first time for my wife and daughter to help build and enjoy the process. Also while my wife has canoed before my daughter has not and will not even get in a 12 foot row boat. My goal is to build this one and get her use to it then build her a smaller boat that she will enjoy and be comfortable with. I also will be setting it up so both may daughter and I forfishing. Am I making sense? Thanks Kevin.