My TouringPirogue-TV Build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
KenNWI
Type of boat I like: Single person of wood

My TouringPirogue-TV Build

Post by KenNWI »

Hello, New member here not quite a newbie but built a typical Uncle Johns about 11 years ago. Glassed the inside n out and still use it regularly. Refinished it last year and added copper sheeting at the ends mostly to protect the underside luan at the points. This past summer I participated in a number of paddling events and notice how well kayaks moved through the water. However the setting position is too low and I prefer a more open access so that I can keep my feet dry will boarding. Now the new build. I kicked around quite a bit on building it as a stripper but leaning towards another plywood boat. I was looking into what Owl Hardwoods offered in Chicago. They have Baltic Birch in 4 x 8 sheets in both 1/8 and 1/4. I would like opinions on a lighter version using 1/8 or a combination of 1/8 sides and 1/4 floor. Opinions of the Baltic Birch or Okoume or any sheeting. I know I mentioned light weight but will glass it most likely all over the outside for strength and protection. I am undecided about the inside. I see different butt joints, pros and cons? Thank you Ken Almost forgot. I would like to leave out the forward thwart so as I do not need to step over. I thought about running a front cover back a little to give it some strength. Opinions? Thank you
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: My TouringPirogue-TV Build

Post by Oldsparkey »

Everyone does a build the way they want it and like it. That's the beauty of doing it yourself. :D
Myself I like the 1/8 in wood with it epoxy saturated and glassed all the way around. Butt Joints are my favorite and I glass over the joint ( Both sides ) with 3.5 oz tight woven glass. The piece of glass is extended about 2 inches on each side of the seam covering the seam.
When the boat can be glassed I do it in the 3.5 oz tight woven.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Birch isn't very rot resistant.

But if you're encasing inside and out with fiberglass, then not much of an issue so long as you keep on top of any scrapes getting through fiberglass layer.

Be careful about 4 x8 birch. It usually isn't Baltic birch which has no voids and even thickness plies.
-Matt. Designer.
KenNWI
Type of boat I like: Single person of wood

Post by KenNWI »

Thank you both for the replies. I was mistaken, Owl Hardwood does not have 1/8 Baltic Birch in 4 x 8. However they do have Meranti, Okoume. I stopped at Menards today. They have 1/4 Baltic Birch but only 1/8 was there basic luan. Maybe Home Depot may have something.