Sasquatch(littlefoot)

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
zeb
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Sasquatch(littlefoot)

Post by zeb »

How about a Sasquatch that can be built with a two piece panel instead of three,same dimensions of the(smaller) southwind maybe.

this boat could be big enough for a playful paddle with the better half
and a serious touring/camping machine for a battery charge solo expudition :)
All The Best
Zeb
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

YES!!!

Zeb,

I love the way you think mate. 8) Similar lines, only about 15 or so feet long would be a beautiful thing. 8) 8) 8)
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

hmmm... let's get a report on the 16.5' and then we'll look at it. :D
-Matt. Designer.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Mick hurry up will ya,

I have to say I like the look of Micks build but I'm buggered if I make another 3 peice panel...

It's not that hard really and I'm sure it'll be easier when my measuring stick reaches the extremities. :oops: :lol:

but yeah a little Sasquatch would be nice so we'll be waiting for Mick to finish...

and it appears I'm planning my next build before I've finished this one :lol:

Tor
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

and it appears I'm planning my next build before I've finished this one

Aaaaah, Welcome to my world - my son. :D
hmmm... let's get a report on the 16.5' and then we'll look at it.
Mate, we both just know this boat is a allready a winner :P . With the beautiful lines she has, I just can't see how she can be anything else.

The three piece panels are definately a lot more work (10 extra sections in my boat) and this doesnt bother me. I just love making sawdust. :oops: and stitching, and filleting and fibre-glassing :oops: :oops: But, I can see how some may be put off by a relatively complex build such as this, simply because of the volume of work in creating the panels - all for a boat that is only 9 or 10 inches longer than a comparable boat of much less work.

I am not really a canoe man (yet) and this is my first attempt at a S&G genuine Canadian style canoe, but I have to tell you that the lines of this boat in the flesh are even more impressive than they are in the concept drawings. (to me anyway) Matt has achieved something of rare beauty in a S&G boat with this one. The lines are so good, they come very close to those of a strip build and that is a huge call.

Here is how I expect this hull to perform.

The fine entry in the bow will part chops effortlessly, yet the generous flare further back will provide plenty of lift to easy the bow over the tops of them. The generous rocker will provide good manouverability while the shallow V bottom and semi rounded hull will maintain good tracking.

At the stern, the same fine entry combined with the rocker and beautifully proportioned hull shape will provide for smooth release of the water and will cause very little, if any water to be dragged along behind. This should all make for a canoe that is effortless to paddle at hull speed and the relatively low sides will make for minimal wind signature in a boat of this type.

I don't know the technical stuff like drag co-efficients and such, but this boat just looks "right" to me. Time will tell, but I am confident in my estimations. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

You may want a solo expedition canoe a bit shorter than 15'. Mine is 13', and I take Katie (7 year old Granddaughter) and me for a week in it easily. You may want to consider a 14'?

Matt, what are the dimensions on Bill Mason's original Prospector?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Kayak Jack wrote:You may want a solo expedition canoe a bit shorter than 15'. Mine is 13', and I take Katie (7 year old Granddaughter) and me for a week in it easily. You may want to consider a 14'?

Matt, what are the dimensions on Bill Mason's original Prospector?
The most famous Chestnut Prospector is the 16' x 34".
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Well, I guess I stand corrected. For my personal use, I'd go a tad shorter.
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

There was a 14' version in the 32" range that was also quite revered.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

My experience in a solo would favor the 14' over the 16.5'. Bill Mason was a better canoeist than I'll ever be, maybe he could handle the longer boar better. He also went on trips over a week, and needed more cargo capacity.
Kayak Jack