Jodie's T-V

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Nice job on those splash lips on the decks. Blends real well.
-Matt. Designer.
scottrunnr
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by scottrunnr »

That coaming/splash-lip looks great! I'm gonna have to try to do that on my next build! Unfortunatley, you know that means I'll be asking you questions again. :wink:
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

WOW!!

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

Mick,
You are awesome!! I haven't been keeping up with this build like I wanted, but this is really incredible!!
This is the deck I want for the Freedom 18!! I think I may back channel you about the hatches.

Thanks for showing us these piccies. Magnificient build "Blue"!!

Lee
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Wow, Thanks guys.

But the piccies aren't showing all the mistakes.

I think the rounded decks are more trouble than they are really worth. Particulary so if doing it by eye, the way I have done. If, in the unlikely event that I ever decide to do rounded decks again, I will be asking Matt to draw them.

I am starting to enjoy this build again now.

Did a lil filleting to the inside seams where the decks meet the side shear clamps.

Still cleaning up the fore-deck coaming.

Side braces screwed on to the side of my work bench with batten screws have proved priceless. quick and easy to fix in place - and remove to shift from side to side. This helps me to stand the boat on its side when needed.

Very handy for working on the inside of the tumblehome panel. :D

In between resin coats, I have been playing with a Chuckinator style seat. :P

I called in at a scrap yard the other day and picked up a heap of very old Hoop Pine in short lengths. Ripped a bunch of em down.

Dressed em up with a belt sander. The one on the left is before sanding,

The one on the right is after. :D

Playing with the seat base

Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

A Chuckinator style seat :?:

Mick has been sniffing to much epoxy or snorting way to much sawdust.
"O" Well it does not matter since the proud owner of the boat will have a comfortable place to sit while paddling and admiring those curved hatches Mick just loves to put in his boats. :lol:

What a world this is , a boat made in Australian from plans that were drawn up in North Carolina and she ( Jody) will be sitting on a seat dreamed up in Florida..... all put together in a place most of us ( On this side of the pond ) have never been to but the boat will be paddled there. :D

Life is GRAND...........

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

Oldsparkey wrote:A Chuckinator style seat :?:

Mick has been sniffing to much epoxy or snorting way to much sawdust.
"O" Well it does not matter since the proud owner of the boat will have a comfortable place to sit while paddling and admiring those curved hatches Mick just loves to put in his boats. :lol:

What a world this is , a boat made in Australian from plans that were drawn up in North Carolina and she ( Jody) will be sitting on a seat dreamed up in Florida..... all put together in a place most of us ( On this side of the pond ) have never been to but the boat will be paddled there. :D

Life is GRAND...........

Chuck.
It really is amazing !!
And just 25 years ago we would have had to find out about each other from an advertisement in Field & Stream, or the back of a matchbook cover(remember those?)

Lee
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Chucky and Lee,

You guys are absolutly correct. My first canoe build was another American
design, A stripper that I built from a book Robin bought me.

I struggled with that build no end, partially because I had no access at the time of any usefull information other than what was in that book. (and it is a superb book) The problem was that I didn't really understand what I was reading and I had no one to ask when things weren't clear to me.

This site is worth a thousand such books and more. :D One can learn allmost all that is needed to know about building canoes and kayaks right here, simply by reading a few of the build logs. if things still are not clear enough, all one has to do is ask the question and within a very short time,
there will be several explanations and coming from all over the world!

Real friendships are made with people we might never meet in person, yet we fell like we have known them for years. Triumphs and build problems are shared. While I can't speak for others, I know that I get as much enjoyment out of watching somebody else's build evolve into a boat as I do my own and that I learn something from every build thread here.

Here I go again, waxing lyrical again :oops: sorry. but I just love this forum. Even my mates at work are callin me hairy now. :lol: and they are also reading the build threads. 8)
Regards,
Mick

olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Yep.....have to agree with everything you said there, Mick. There's a really genuine, helpful and friendly feel to this forum....... Feels weird if I dont look in each day to see what's happening..... the only thing is, by doing that I lose the right to lecture my son about spending too much time on Myspace and MSN!
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

Those side braces on your work bench are a great idea! I've definately got to do that for working on the hull interior!
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Scott,

Those side braces truly are a stoke of Genius. I saw something similar here on another build log and then went ahead and built several boats before it dawned on me to try something similar. :shock:

I'm not real smart mate, - but I can lift heavy things. :lol:

Still playing with the Chuckinator seat :P

Side plates sort of cleaned up.

I dry fit EVERYTHING before I start to glue.

Getting there

Lots of sanding this morning in between tormenting Matt with PM's :P

Final coat of clear epoxy is on. YAAAAAAY!!! (I really need to get a life.) :oops:

Regards,
Mick