Interesting Design: Inverted V

Worth mentioning but don't fit in other categories.
Flump
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Flump »

Hi Jem,

Did anything come about with any these designs. I was thinking about this exact same thing before I designed and built my own kayak inspired by Hairymick http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1900. I was initially thinking along the lines of two narrow, but quite deep vee's to keep drag to a minimum, but with "hydrofoil like"cross members to link and prevent the splaying of the two hulls and to try and create lift for potential added speed/ease of paddle. In the end I went away from this as I just wasn't sure how it would work as a paddle powered boat, but am still interested in the theory and maybe getting a design together and built.
Cheers..Nick

And yes Hairymick, the bug has bitten, nothing like a homemade plywood yak :D :wink:
Last edited by Flump on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Build and paddle your own kayak - it doesn't get much better than that!
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Nick,

Welcome to the dark side mate. :D :twisted: I was wondering if you would post here.

Matt is the right one to ask high tech questions like this. I don't know anything about such thingamajigs. I am just attracted to beautiful lines, grace, symmetry and wood grain, in other words - class :D

I think you will love it here. :D I do.

oh, and thank you for the very kind words.

Guys, Nic has done a magnificent job of building a wooden sit on top kayak. He has done it in amazing time and his workmanship is as good as any I have seen. I am very proud to introduce him to y'all as my friend. :D :D .
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Hi, Nick. Welcome aboard. (Glad to hear that Mick has a friend!)
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Looks like you did a fine job!

Mick has friends? He must have gotten his Christmas bonus early. :D
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

As luck would have it the wife was home when I read this and passed out, That goodness she had the smelling salts to revive me.

She asked me what caused this problem and I managed to mumble ....... Mick (gasp) has... a ... f ri e nd.

Then she fainted. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Flump wrote:Hi Jem,

Did anything come about with any these designs. I was thinking about this exact same thing before I designed and built my own kayak inspired by Hairymick http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1900. I was initially thinking along the lines of two narrow, but quite deep vee's to keep drag to a minimum, but with "hydrofoil like"cross members to link and prevent the splaying of the two hulls and to try and create lift for potential added speed/ease of paddle. In the end I went away from this as I just wasn't sure how it would work as a paddle powered boat, but am still interested in the theory and maybe getting a design together and built.
Cheers..Nick
The biggest concern I'd have with this sort of design would be if the inverted V would pay off on a narrow hull like a canoe or kayak.

I did draw up a canoe with this concept but like you, I never pulled the trigger to try it.

I might make a smaller version and subject my kids to another one dad's crazy experiements (you all don't know the half stuff I've tried :shock: ).

The Sea Sled design has the theory where the inverted V is in the front and then it tapers to a full, flat stern aft. It's supposed to provide a very smooth and stable ride. But that's with an outboard pushing it. So I'm not sure any advantage would be gained with something manual powered.
-Matt. Designer.
Flump

Post by Flump »

Thanks Jem (and the rest of you),

And yes Mick does have a mate over here in Oz :D .

I'm currently working something up :idea: :idea: . Once it's done I'll post it up see what you guys think about it. It will probably take a couple of days to get something I'm happy with. I'll probably be building one of the puddle ducks next though :twisted: , so a prototype will probably be a little way off, but a smaller scale model might be in the offing in the mean time.
Cheers...Nick
Build and paddle your own kayak - it doesn't get much better than that!
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Flump,

If you plan to do a Puddle duck, contact Al Dasen at alvinalamar@aol.com

They are a specialty of his. Tell him Kayak Jack sent you.
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

See, I told y'all Nick was a gentleman. He didn't even mention how much I paid him to say he was my friend.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Could'n a been much, Mick. Not much at'all ;-}}
Kayak Jack