SABALO BUILD

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: SABALO BUILD

Post by Bemm 52 »

First coat of varnish.............finally :lol:

I thinned it by about 1/5 and wiped it on in an effort to save runs :roll:

Its a method I use on furniture so I'm hopeing it will work OK :idea:

hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Geez mate,

that is looking great.

I tried to post to this before but my post disapeared.

You have raised the bar yet again. Your skill and quality of workmanship are the best I have seen. Beautiful. :D 8)
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Mullet_Key

Post by Mullet_Key »

I like those intergrated handles on the sides. I thought about doing that, but was so eager to be "complete" that I installed some traditional factory kayak handles, which do not give me a secure hold, and I rarely pick up the boat with them now.
Pygmy Arctic Tern
JEM Swamp Girl -15
JEM Wadefish 15
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

No varnish below the waterline. No sunshine there (if you do it right), and epoxy is harder than the varnish. Sustained soaking will soften and remove varnish, I've been told.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
scottrunnr

Post by scottrunnr »

Bemm,
How did you get the geekos and name on the hull? What did you print them on? Did you epoxy it on the hull and then glass over it? I'd love to see a step by step on how you did it!
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

FINALLY FINISHED

On sat morning Why Why Why hit the water for the first time :lol: :lol:

A group of us from AKFF decided to paddle across to Cockatoo Island for a bit of a get together for the weekend. The island used to be a ship yard that was closed down in the eightys and the national trust took it over.

Loaded on mainland prior to launch the island is in middle osf Sydney Harbour.

Mixing it with Hobies

On return from blooding with first fish :lol: 8)
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Matt and the rest of you....... This boat is bloody awsome..stable quick and beautiful.

KJ i varnished bottom for no particular reason and yes I do think it was a waste of time

Scott the lizards were printed from computer onto ordinary white tissue paper then wetted out with epoxy and straight after this the matt was appllied

The sounder gave great readings thru the epoxy graphite

boat doesn't need a rudder and i am still getting the hang of rudder steering.

One day its a skill I may need if battling a strong wind but generaly boat tracks straight and true

some more pictures to finish of this build thread will post in out and about from time to time

We should see the bright work steadily dull as the boat gets more use :oops: :lol:

when I redo varnish at a later stage I might go for satin finish.

Thanks for all your imput this was a project well worth doing........Whats next :shock:
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Bemm 52.........:D :D :D :D Congratulations mate!! What an outstanding boat..... Great work.
Worth all the hard work......yes? Have fun..... :D :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

AWESOME!!! :D
-Matt. Designer.
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

Yeah, kinda what Matt says.

Wow. Terrific looking boat!!!

DM